Senior Backend Engineer - Node.js
San Francisco, California /
R&D – Core Engineering /
At Side, we believe everyone should own their path.
Side is the only real estate brokerage platform exclusively for the nation’s best agents. Based on its belief that homeownership is a fundamental human right, we provide top-performing real estate agents, teams, and independent brokerages with the best system, support, and service, in order to elevate the experience and results of buyers and sellers.
Side is led by experienced industry professionals and world-class engineers who develop technology designed to improve agent productivity and enhance the client experience. The company is backed by over $250M in funding from top tier venture capital firms, including Coatue Management, Tiger Global Management, D1 Capital Partners, Sapphire Ventures, Trinity Ventures, Matrix Partners, and 8VC. Side currently partners with agents in California, Texas, and Florida, with plans to expand nationally in the coming months.
At Side, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate and innovate your way to success. Becoming an inSider means that you’ll be empowering business leaders to become business owners, all while forging your own path with like-minded entrepreneurs. Join us at Side and own your career, your impact, and your life!
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Engineering organization is ~40 engineers, on three teams: Transaction/Brokerage Management, Agent Marketing and Platform Engineering. We appreciate diversity of thought and backgrounds. Core Transaction Engineering is responsible for building the features of our main product offering. What's also really cool is that we share office space with some of our real estate agents, giving us unparalleled access to feature ideas and feedback on product development.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a member of the Core Engineering team, you will work cross-functionally with the product team, customer success team, brokerage team, finance team - almost every team in the company. You will work with and help mentor other engineers, help architect solutions to problems, and communicate with leadership about the needs of the team.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Deep collaboration with Product Management to turn user stories into a technical plan that can be executed by multiple people
- Informing product direction by communicating engineering constraints and objectives to the Product Team
- Evaluating and articulating end-to-end designs for strengths and weaknesses (e.g., complexity, quality, scalability, latency, security, performance, data integrity, etc)
- Identifying tech debt and making recommendations of reduction
- Upholding application performance and security best practices within the team
- Writing full suite of automated tests to ensure production stability (unit, integration, e2e)
- Writing code for medium to large features independently
- Leading code reviews, providing constructive feedback
- Mentoring junior engineers on the Core Engineering team
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU A STRONG FIT FOR THE ROLE?
- Extensive experience with Node.js / Express.js (or any Node.js HTTP framework)
- Strong experience with testing (unit, integration, and e2e)
- Strong database experience (NoSQL, SQL)
- Good knowledge of GraphQL
- Experience with React
- Extensive experience with Git & Github
- Experience with Jira
- High EQ, able to respond effectively to people’s needs
- Experience with open-source is a plus
- Firebase knowledge is a plus
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Best-in-class benefits, including 100% healthcare coverage (medical, vision and dental)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development credit
- Pet friendly environment
Side is dedicated to working with the highest skilled people from the most inclusive talent pool feasible. We maintain that diversity in all aspects leads to positive change, solutions and innovation for our customers and career fulfillment for our employees. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply!
Side uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many of our customers means that a background and DRE license check is required to join Side. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.