Expert réseaux telecom
R&D/Engineering – Network Operations /
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,400 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
The purpose of this position is to design, upgrade and operate a state-of-the-art mobile telecommunication core network capable to support Sierra growth and innovation in the IoT. The mobile network supports Sierra connectivity offers and is a key element in the Device to Cloud value chain.
The mobile telecommunication network features geo-redundant highly available infrastructure with secure access to 600+ partner networks in over 190 countries to support global deployments. Our patented Smart SIM applet technology dynamically identifies the best network options available in real-time with multiple routes to multiple networks in every country. It offers the classic mobile telecommunication services such as Voice, messaging, data as well as a management platform delivering a unified view and API access to all Sierra Wireless Smart SIMs and devices.
As of early 2021, we are engaged in renovation programs (e.g. packet core renewal, IP infrastructure renewal, …); tooling improvements (signaling probes deployment); full disaster recovery tests; cost-management programs and innovation activities. We are also moving most nodes and applications to the cloud.
- The incumbent in this position is responsible for technical activities in a subset of Sierra Telco Network (subscriber management, voice core, packet core or services platforms like in most mobile core networks). These activities include: Studies, Projects, Operations and level 3 Support.
- Engineering and Solution design: functional design with Product team, technical solution design at high and low levels, prepare arbitration between alternatives, identification of transformation steps and migration strategy, testing and deployment strategy definition and execution, go live activities, documentation, …
- Examples of projects are: renewal of our HLR/HSS in Europe and North America ; packet core renewal ; VoLTE introduction ; new IoT features introduction ; signaling probes deployment, moving telco nodes to the public cloud, …
- Vendor management: RFQ management and vendor selection, benchmarks, roadmap analysis, contractualization, improvement plans, … We partner with the usual major mobile core nodes vendors and some smaller players.
- Project management: managing scope, planning, costs, risks, coordination between stakeholders and communication inside / outside of the project team.
- Operations management: telco node deployment and upgrades in private cloud as well as in public cloud (e.g. AWS), technical & functional configuration, capacity planning, performance tuning, patching, supporting customers specific requirements, opening new roaming agreements, …
- Expert level support and QoS improvements: incident management, troubleshooting, incident prevention and hardening, continuous improvement, knowledge sharing, disaster recovery plans definition and testing, …
- Telco stack knowledge from 2G to 5G: hardware, system (OS, public/private/hybrid clouds), IP networking, security, telco protocols, mobile core network nodes, …
- Knowledge in end-to-end mobile telco technical chains including IT, mobile core, services platforms, transit telco networks, roaming partners, user-end, SIM cards. Expertise in the various mobile call flows (Voice, SMS, data).
- Expertise in some telco nodes with hands-on experience (configuration, testing, auditing).
- Experience of telco deployments in private and public clouds, understanding of specificities and challenges.
- Expertise in public cloud support functions integrated with Telco services (databases, DNS, security, load balancing, upgrade processes, distribution, scalability).
- Experience in running telecom grade network with > 99.99% availability, disaster recovery procedures.
- Troubleshooting and performance optimization skills.
- Methodologies: project management, study management, vendor relations, incident management, continuous improvement, technical lifecycle management.
- Team player, excellent communication (able and willing to share expertise and to convince), able to see the big picture (customer / technology / teams / costs); ability to drive change and improvements; rigorous; flexibility to adapt to fast changing environments; able to adapt to a variety of colleagues (different professional backgrounds and culture); proactive; autonomous; humble and customer focused.
- Telecom engineer with 5-10 years in the mobile telecommunication industry (operator / vendor / integrator) with experience in engineering and operations on various nodes.
- 3+ years of experience in large scale telco deployments and telco grade environments. Multi-year projects with significant budgets (> 500k€) successfully delivered.