Atlanta, GA /
R&D/Engineering – Network Operations /
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,400 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
The NOC Engineer position plays a key role in the day-to-day operational function of the Sierra Wireless Global Network Operations Center (GNOC). The ideal candidate will possess the ability to proactively identify potential network-impacting events (both Sierra Wireless and Externally Culpable), facilitate fault remediation bridges, drive customer-impacting incidents to resolve, and accurately communicate network status updates to internal customer-facing teams and leadership teams.
- Provide 24/7 surveillance of the Sierra Wireless Network to meet very aggressive network availability goals through Event, Incident, Change, and Problem Management.
- Work with GNOC Team and Leadership to drive continuous improvement in operational best practices.
- Monitor the performance and capacity of the Sierra Wireless Network using a variety of tools. Work to identify hardware, software, and environmental alerts/malfunctions and correlate events as needed.
- Meet very aggressive network availability, MTTR, and ticket handling objectives.
- Collect network data to validate assumptions by:
- Conduct network traces using supplied tools.
- Conduct in-depth impact analysis using network tools and metrics.
- Self-contain issues by utilizing provided tools and access.
- Work with roaming carrier partners to help identify interactions between their network, the Sierra Wireless Network, and customer devices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to diagnose software and network-related alerts, events, or issues.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, and ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Experience with Disaster Recovery and Incident Management Processes.
- Ambitious and self-motivated to problem-solve, learn, and create one’s own mechanisms for resolving issues while being able to communicate effectively to leadership.
- Self-starter with the potential to collaborate directly with Customer Service, Technical Support, and Tier 3 Teams.
- Passionate about customer service and ‘right the first time’ principles
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix System Infrastructure.
- Experience with IoT (Internet of Things), cloud-based technologies, SaaS Software, and web services.
- Verbose experience with a variety of ticketing and monitoring systems.
- Scripting and automation skills to address recurring tasks, specifically Python, PERL, or JAVA.
- Working knowledge of the following a plus: SQL Database • Cellular Wireless Network Infrastructure • Core Network Architecture Hosted Application Service Provider Environment