Staff Firmware Engineer
Richmond, BC /
R&D/Engineering – Firmware Development /
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,100 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Equity and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
We have an opportunity for a Staff Firmware Engineer to join our team in our Richmond, BC Headquarters. In this role, you will develop new functionality for the Anritsu test equipment to exercise the product’s marketing and technical requirements, as well as debug critical technical issues on those products.
You will be responsible for having a good understanding of the product development cycle, and both a broad and detailed understanding of various aspects of the embedded software and/or supporting tools. You will have regular collaboration within the firmware team to develop features and debug issues, as well as deliver key functionality to the validation team to be incorporated into their Firmware ATE (FWATE) system. Additionally, you will work directly with Anritsu to assess equipment requirements to meet the needs for current and future products.
- Review product requirements
- Design product features
- Implement product features
- Triage and resolve customer issues
- Collaborate with other development teams on features and issues
- Provide training, guidance, and mentorship to less experienced staff
- Provide feedback on process and template improvements
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer software engineering, or a related discipline
- 5 - 10 years of professional experience, or equivalent
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent embedded software development experience in C
- Experience in development with embedded multi-threaded operating systems
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to lead technical teams
- Ability to provide guidance and mentorship to junior staff and take guidance from senior staff
- Can break down complex problems or tasks into subcomponents
- Excellent problem solving and systematic debugging skills
- Wireless WAN protocols such as LTE and 5G NR
- 3GPP protocol specifications
- Detailed familiarity with operation of WWAN test equipment, preferably Anritsu
Desired Education, Experience & Skills
- GNSS operation and control
- TCP/IP suite of protocols
- Source code control systems such as SVN and Git/Gerrit
- Defect tracking systems such as JIRA
- Collaboration tools such as Confluence
- Throughput tools such as iperf and D-ITG
- Power measurement tools such as Qoitech OTII
What We Offer
Our people are friendly, collaborative, and like to share their ideas and knowledge with one another. This creates an amazing environment where we learn from each other and innovate together.
Our Canadian benefits include paid vacation and sick days, extended health and dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, matching retirement savings program, and employee and family assistance programs.
Our Richmond headquarters offers a subsidized cafeteria, free parking, free shuttle service from Skytrain, a Wellness Program that includes an onsite fitness center, onsite fitness classes led by professional instructors, free healthy snacks each month, and wellness activities and challenges to keep our minds and bodies active. We also host various social and cultural events throughout the year where we come together to have fun and celebrate. Within our Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, our Employee Resource Groups provide opportunities for our people to support and champion Women in Tech, Pride at Sierra, and Mental Health Awareness.
If you like working with a successful team, are looking for competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to represent a recognized and innovative brand, we’d love to have you join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online through our careers website: www.iotstartswithus.com. If you are a job seeker with a disability and you need individualized support during the application or interview process, please leave us a note on your application form.
We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Sierra Wireless, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.