Senior Technical Support Engineer
Richmond, BC /
Customer Experience – Technical Support /
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,400 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Support Engineer to join our Global Customer Experience Team. You will be providing expert technical advice and problem-solving on dynamic applications that utilize our wireless networking solutions and management platform.
This is a key role in the on-going success of the Global Customer Experience Team. You will collaborate with product development engineers to investigate and resolve hardware and software issues. You will provide advice and suggestions on product and process improvement and direct feedback on how our customers experience our solutions.
- Effectively manage a variety of technical support issues in a fast paced, growing organization
- Analyze logs, perform and analyze network traces, troubleshoot & reproduce problems
- Resolve problems or find alternative solutions
- Support the operation of wireless networking solutions and management platform
- Ability to work collaboratively within the Global Customer Experience Team from the Level 1 Customer Support Team to the Level 3 Technical Engineering Team
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- 5+ years’ experience in an Engineering or Technical Support role
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent Certifications
- Sound knowledge of telecoms, especially core mobile network: network nodes (3G / 4G / 5G), protocols and interface, architecture, WiFi, serial
- Sound networking knowledge: protocols, modems/routers/switches configuration, firewalls, VPNs
- Experience with Linux OS
- Sound knowledge of modem AT commands
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs and automation
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL
- Experience with Docker containerization
- Scripting experience in either Bash shell or Python.
- Knowledge of Wireshark network analysis tool and tcpdump
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Theoretical and operational knowledge of network operation and system administration (tools, processes, metrics, SNMP)
- AWS / AZURE cloud knowledge
- Elastic search / Splunk knowledge
- Experience in telecom industry and/or customer support organization
- Experience working on MVNO network. Network architecture knowledge.
- 5+ years of system administration experience in Linux environments and proficient in tasks such as shell scripting, cron jobs, analyzing log files and configuring iptables,
- Vehicle telemetry: Knowledge of vehicle CANbus, OBDII, J1939, J1708 protocols
- ITIL knowledge or certified
- CCNA and/or CCENT certification
What We Offer
Our people are friendly, collaborative, and like to share their ideas and knowledge with one another. This creates an amazing environment where we learn from each other and innovate together.
Our Canadian benefits include paid vacation and sick days, extended health and dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, matching retirement savings program, and employee and family assistance programs.
Our Richmond headquarters offers a subsidized cafeteria, free parking, free shuttle service from Skytrain, a Wellness Program that includes an onsite fitness center, onsite fitness classes led by professional instructors, free healthy snacks each month, and wellness activities and challenges to keep our minds and bodies active. We also host various social and cultural events throughout the year where we come together to have fun and celebrate. Within our Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, our Employee Resource Groups provide opportunities for our people to support and champion Women in Tech, Pride at Sierra, and Mental Health Awareness.
If you like working with a successful team, are looking for competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to represent a recognized and innovative brand, we’d love to have you join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online through our careers website: www.iotstartswithus.com. If you are a job seeker with a disability and you need individualized support during the application or interview process, please leave us a note on your application form.
We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Sierra Wireless, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.