Sr Backend Engineer
For this position you will join our existing engineering team in our San Francisco office. You will work with a geographically diverse team with engineers in Ann Arbor & Taiwan (including the original technical team of Slashdot.org).
You will be working on the server-side design and code for our data stores, platforms, systems, and web applications, as well as internal systems to manage our services. The backend team is relatively small considering the volume of data and the profile of our customers, therefore simplicity and scalability of both systems and processes are of vital importance. The daily focus is on productivity and delivering results, while ensuring customer satisfaction, performance, and reliability of our platform.
We seek an individual with a deep CS background and experience that includes development of high-availability online services. Candidates should have a passion for solving complex and interesting problems. Our backend systems solve problems from just about every area of computer science, including ETL, information retrieval, machine learning, factory automation, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, big data, etc. We are dealing with an extremely large amount of data, so we are looking for expertise working in large enterprise systems with an eye on scalability and reliability.
- Must have 5+ years experience
- Self starter and quick learner, with a demonstrated ability to deliver results in a fast paced startup environment
- Several years industry experience building and delivering robust high-performance and scalable systems.
- An ability to juggle priorities and make the right tradeoffs in feature content and timely delivery of features while ensuring customer success and technology leadership for the company.
- Works with distributed teams across geography
- Extensive knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Experience with Python, C/C++ and/or Java or other low-level programming language
- Experience with relational databases & NoSQL required
- Expertise with MongoDB, Postgres a strong plus
- Familiarity with Hadoop, MapReduce, or Spark a plus
- Experience with Amazon Infrastructure services a plus
- Experience with ETL or statistics a plus
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, scalability, and fault-tolerance
- Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to help the field and customer support teams, as needed.
- Excellent communications skills