Signal is hiring an engineering director to help grow and strengthen the Signal team and the Signal app. If you care about uptime and scaling services, running happy and effective teams, and executing on big projects as much as you care about providing people with a free, private means of communication, you will fit right in. This role is an opportunity to have an immediate impact, to work closely with a talented team, and to solve challenging problems while developing the most widely used private communications app on the planet.
- Experience managing infrastructure/platform engineering teams.
- “Hands on” technical capability. You will balance your time between managing and mentoring a team, and contributing to the codebase alongside them.
- Deep understanding of system performance, network protocols, and resilient platforms.
- Able to manage/optimize costs across multiple service providers.
- A clear and capable communicator. We’re a small organization; you will be involved in many aspects.
- 10+ years of industry experience.
What we offer
- We’re fully distributed. This means you can work anywhere within US timezones. Whether it’s your favorite coffee shop or your living room or a coworking space we help cover, Signal gives you the flexibility to make your work work for you. And we travel a few times throughout the year so you can get to know your colleagues in person.
- Excellent healthcare, vision, and dental with all premiums covered.
- Our 401(k) plan matches your contributions (without any vesting period) up to the employee federal maximum of $20,500.
- We're stable, well-funded, and driven by our privacy mission, not profit. This means we’re capable of focusing on what is best for users without distractions or compromises.
- Feel good about what you do. Signal is building core infrastructure for truly private digital communications. We don’t participate in the surveillance business model, and we are proud of the integrity and transparency of our work..
Signal Messenger is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.
At Signal, trust and mutual respect are foundational to our culture, as are empathy and transparency in how we interact as an internal team and with the world around us. We are committed to creating a work environment that is supportive, challenging, and that draws on people from a variety of backgrounds. Diverse perspectives and backgrounds are critical to delivering on our core purpose of protecting free expression and enabling secure communication around the globe.