Senior Product Designer
San Francisco, CA. Santa Clara, CA. Virtual /
Shape the future of machine learning; SigOpt helps data scientists and engineers build better machine learning (ML) models, faster.
As a Senior Product Designer you'll be the first full-time designer on the team, part of the growing product organization at SigOpt. You’ll be working closely with product managers and customer success to develop new features that solve customer needs and with the engineering team on the implementation of your designs.
Since you’ll be the first full-time designer, you’ll take ownership of the experience, look, and feel of our web application which, along with the API, are the core of our product. Our customers use our web application to keep track of their modeling experimentation and compare results with a suite of data visualizations.
SigOpt operates like a small company within Intel. True to our startup roots, we move quickly. You’ll find that you’re joining a group with a cohesive, intentional culture based on these values:
- Curiosity: We don’t expect everyone to know everything about our industry, our business, and our users. Each one of us is open to questions and happy to share what we know because we all learn more in the process.
- Respect: Foster an inclusive, diverse and safe environment for everyone.
- Empowerment: When you find something you want to create or improve, you won’t need to wait for layers of approval; we trust each others’ judgement.
- Balance: Know when to work, when to play and when to go home.
- Solidarity: Transparently collaborate toward shared goals. Ask for help and help when you can.
To collaborate with your teammates, we're looking for candidates that will be available during business hours in one of the North American time zones.
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- Research, sketch, wireframe, prototype, or mockup design solutions based on product requirements in large projects, requests from the customer success team, or functional prototypes created by the research engineering team
- Clearly and effectively present design solutions in a strategic context to internal teams for feedback and discuss design tradeoffs
- Be the voice of users in product and design meetings
- Design data visualizations to help users understand their progress toward their goals and the results from using specific features
- Contribute to user research planning with mockups, interview question ideas, and observations
- Refine implementation details of mockups with engineering team members
- Develop diagrams or visualizations for documentation or internal strategy decks
- Create or add to style library (we have a set of style modifications on top of Bootstrap)
- 5+ years of product/UX/UI/web/interaction design experience
- BS/BA in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science, or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates pragmatic problem solving, user-centered methodologies, and straightforward visual skills for digital products
- Willingness to give and accept constructive criticism and rapidly iterate on feedback
- Well-versed in UX best practices
- Comfortable leading large projects
- Experience working with customers, technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Comfortable learning and working with complex or technical concepts
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS so that you have a sense of what’s possible and have a foundation for discussing implementation with engineers
You might be a good fit if any of these apply to you:
- User-obsessed: hungry for detail about user context, goals, and pain points
- Interested in designing tools for developers or have your own experience as a developer using tools like Git, AWS, or Stripe
- Have experience working with both enterprise and consumer apps
- Excited about designing data visualizations or have experience with designing analytics dashboards
- Love tackling ambiguous problems and shaping them into clear goals
- Have managed or contributed to user research studies
- Interested in connecting the dots from product strategy and business objectives to the user experience
- Happy working as a solo designer in close collaboration with other disciplines
- Experienced with HTML/CSS or machine learning libraries and frameworks
- Passionate about AI / ML technologies and familiarity with the space