Software Intern - Fall 2019 Term
San Francisco, CA
SigOpt provides a scalable, high availability platform for tuning model parameters. We're looking for curious and enthusiastic interns to learn, grow, and build with us!
Interns work as core parts of the team: attending and presenting at meetings, scoping and documenting projects, regularly releasing production code. Past interns have added experiment search to our web app, written our Getting Started demo, added multimetric in our API, built our configuration manager on Zookeeper, and written our guide for reinforcement learning with Sigopt.
To make this happen, interns will need to:
Own Projects: You’ll have a lot of responsibility over the scope and implementation of your projects. You won’t find any toy projects here! Interns work on critical pieces of our infrastructure and algorithms. Communicating with the team to give and receive feedback is an essential part of the internship.
Work with New Technologies: We expect interns to be able to quickly ramp up on the languages and platforms we use. You don’t have to be an expert before you join, but we’ll coach you to be a strong, independent contributor on our stack by the end of the term.
Extend our API: Our customers constantly tell us how intuitive and reliable our API is. As we make our service more sophisticated, you’ll be ensuring that customers can still quickly integrate SigOpt into their workflows. Potential projects include building new RESTful endpoints and resources that connect customer needs with the research team’s algorithms.
Build Out Web App: Another project area interns work on is our React-based interface for managing and analyzing experiments. Data visualization, user management, and experiment tracking are all critical pieces of the SigOpt solution that interns extend.
Use the Best Tools: Kubernetes, Postgres, Node, Python 3, GitHub, PagerDuty, Slack. We make sure our developers have everything they need to do their best work. You'll need to be curious, and ramp up on new tools. These skills will make you a more effective engineer long term; they are worth the effort!
- Engineering internship or professional experience
- Strong programming ability in at least one language
- Ability to help develop end-to-end solutions for real world problems
- Development of services on cloud infrastructure
- Web design or UX background
- Understanding of database usage such as Postgres or MySQL
- Machine Learning experience to empathize with customers
Working at SigOpt
SigOpt empowers experts to build world-class models through an API and web app. By designing solutions that automate model optimization, SigOpt accelerates the impact of experimentation on machine learning, deep learning, simulation and other AI models. Our simple API makes suggestions to customers about different versions of their model to try, and aggregates the results for browsing and analysis. On the backend, we run asynchronous computations to build our own predictions of what's going to help the customer's model perform the best.
Engineers are empowered to make big decisions about what they're working on and how they want to ship it. We have thorough test coverage through unit, integration, and functional tests. Code reviews via are standard practice and help our engineers build their coding and communication skills.
We're looking for interns who enjoy taking responsibility for shipping great features that delight our customers. Our values:
- Empowerment: Take ownership and make bold decisions
- Curiosity: Be a humble teacher and active student
- Respect: Foster an inclusive, diverse and safe environment for everyone
- Balance: Know when to work, when to play and when to go home
- Solidarity: Transparently collaborate toward shared goals
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Salary and relocation packages
- Catered lunches and office snacks
- Team and Company off-sites and team building activities
- Healthy work-life balance - we expect our co-ops to enjoy their time at the office as well as outside of work
- Gym and Wellness benefit
- Based in downtown San Francisco, tech hub of the world
We're set up for success: SigOpt is supported by leading investors from Andreessen Horowitz, Two Sigma, Y Combinator, SV Angel, Blumberg Capital, and In-Q-Tel, and has earned awards from O'Reilly, Barclay's, CB Insights, and Gartner. Our community includes users from MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon and Harvard, and our partners include Amazon, Google, Intel and Nvidia. You can read about us in MLConf, NVidia, and our blog for more!