Director of Policy and Communications
San Jose, CA
Destination: Home, a supporting organization of Silicon Valley Community Foundation, is a public-private partnership serving as the backbone organization for collective impact strategies to end homelessness in Santa Clara County. Destination: Home drives and aligns resources to create permanent housing and sustainable support systems built for the long term. The organization is improving how systems work together to end homelessness, as well as protect individuals and families at risk of becoming homeless.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Policy and Communications is responsible for developing a strategic framework to proactively identify and respond to key local, regional and national policies or pressing public issues that address major challenges related to homelessness and affordable housing in Santa Clara County. Developing a strategic response through public policy, advocacy, and communications for the organization, this position collaborates with the CEO, Destination: Home staff, the Board, and other internal and external partners. This person’s role is to position Destination: Home as a trusted community leader and essential voice in the local and regional discussions to make homelessness rare, brief, and non-recurring.
- Partner in shaping Destination: Home’s public policy agenda and overall communication strategy.
- Actively monitor, anticipate, identify and interpret key policy decisions that have direct or indirect effects on local homelessness and affordable housing issues in Santa Clara County.
- Working closely with the CEO and senior staff to develop a point of view for Destination: Home’s communications positioning, with the goal of making the organization more influential with key audiences and advancing Destination: Home’s policy and advocacy agenda for priority issues.
- Develop and implement a thought leadership strategy – including tactics such as Op-Eds, advocacy videos, press briefings, social media and other forms of persuasive communications – for Destination: Home’s policy positions. Identify particular opportunities to differentiate Destination: Home from the broader affordable housing community. Establish unique positions and points of view. Create persuasive and compelling narratives in support of Destination: Home’s policy positions. Identify when to approach partners, including op-ed co-authors. Follow through on creation of Op-Eds and pitch them to media with the goal of successful placement.
- Develop and present reports to engage senior staff and the Board in determining support or opposition of selected legislation at the state or national levels and managing those efforts.
- Lead work on introducing Destination: Home to elected officials and the general public, including its unique business model, its scope, its philosophy and programs, its influence and its potential as a resource to advance local, regional, state, and federal initiatives.
- Oversee work of consultants and/or vendors and grantees in the service of public policy, advocacy, public outreach, or general communications work.
- Work closely with staff to develop and coordinate strategic responses to regional, state and federal issues that require public policy solutions.
- Support CEO in budget development and monitor annual costs related to state and national policy and advocacy work.
- Represent Destination: Home at external meetings, events and with media, serving as a spokesperson, as directed.
- Attend/participate in conferences, events, and networks to develop issue expertise, share best practices, and establish Destination: Home presence and leadership in the field of homelessness and affordable housing and within issue-oriented and/or identity-based affinity groups or funder collaboratives, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience in a nonprofit leadership position within education, urban planning, economic security, public policy, nonprofit management and/or organizational effectiveness preferred.
- In-depth experience and general knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative processes.
- Demonstrated management and supervision experience.
- Demonstrates capacity to multitask in a fast-paced environment, stay organized and proactively manage workflow to meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop big picture strategies and execute on the details with precision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills: Excel, Word, Outlook, and a variety of database applications preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Silicon Valley Community Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Silicon Valley Community Foundation makes reasonable accommodation for applicants and employees with known physical or mental disabilities.
Submit a resume with cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Application deadline: open until filled.
Internal candidates should contact a member of the Human Resources Department directly.
ABOUT SILICON VALLEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Silicon Valley Community Foundation advances innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems. As the largest community foundation in the world, we engage donors and corporations from Silicon Valley, across the country and around the globe to make our region and world better for all. Our passion for helping people and organizations achieve their philanthropic dreams has created a global philanthropic enterprise committed to the belief that possibilities start here. Learn more at siliconvalleycf.org.