Software Engineer - Backend
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Engineering /
Help us rebuild the oldest system in the world - the agricultural supply chain.
Silo builds tools to bring transparency and efficiency to the agricultural supply chain. We make the paperwork easier for the farmers, wholesalers, and buyers so that they can market their products at desired prices and buyers can easily find thousands of suppliers. This process dramatically reduces waste and increases product freshness for millions of consumers.
We are a team of bright engineers, product designers, and business specialists taking on the challenge of transforming a century old industry. Silo is a VC backed Series B start-up, and we’re located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and NYC with many remote locations.
We will work hard to make sure your decision to join us is worthwhile and rewarding. You’ll learn how a start-up operates and learn skills that will help you at any point in your career. You will be empowered to take initiative and get support to execute an idea from beginning to the end.
We don’t just want to hire people who fit into our culture; we want to hire people who will add to it. You’re helping build a team that we expect to grow fast. Your work will have a direct impact on people involved in end-to-end agricultural supply chain operations: farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and their customers. The Silo marketplace is already live and has buyers and sellers who love the value that Silo provides them. Through optimizing the supply chain we believe Silo will help reduce the prevailing food waste problem around the world.
We face new challenges every day and view this as an opportunity to learn and be creative. We do this by being open-minded and transparent so we can help each other grow and get things right. We share thoughts on how we make decisions and welcome everyone to make improvements.
What You'll Do
As a back-end software engineer, you will be responsible for building efficient and robust server-side business logic for product features, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to frontend requests. You will work with other back-end and frontend engineers to design effective APIs providing great user experience. Our back-end is currently written in Go and connected to a Postgres database, all deployed on Heroku.
- Collaborate on software projects with product designers and frontend engineers (and even our end-users if you’d like!)
- Implement efficient and robust algorithms for product features
- Develop, release, and maintain back-end services and/or infrastructure
- Work with frontend engineers to design flexible APIs
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Software development experience in a production environment
- Experience with Postgres, MongoDB, or other major database solutions
- Willingness to learn and grow in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Strong communication skills
Bonus Points For
- Experience with REST- or GraphQL-based API design
- Familiarity with SQL query and Postgres DB performance optimization
- Intuition in good product design
Benefits & Perks:
Silo offers comprehensive company sponsored health insurance, health & wellness contributions, unlimited sick days, competitive paid parental leave, and weekly meal stipends. We respect a healthy work-life balance and want to make sure you get the time you need. Our flexible schedules and time-off policies mean you can tailor when you work to your needs.
How To Apply:
We are committed to building a diverse team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, and encourage anyone to apply. Please click the "Apply for this Job" link below to get started!