Senior Product Engineer - Communication Systems
Engineering – Product Engineering /
Silvus Technologies is dedicated to one mission: connecting those who keep us safe. We do so by delivering the most advanced Mobile Ad-hoc Network (MANET) radios powered by our custom and ever evolving Mobile-Networked MIMO waveform. Together, our radios and waveform provide the vital communications for mission critical applications in the harshest environments from underground tunnels to high altitude balloons.
Silvus StreamCaster ™ radios are being rapidly adopted by customers all over the world ranging from the U.S. and Allied Nations Departments of Defense, to International, Federal, State and Local Law Enforcement agencies, all the way to the Superbowl, Grammys and industry-leading drone, robot, and other unmanned systems manufacturers.
Would you like to join an incredibly talented group of people, doing very challenging work, with the prime directive of “Keeping Our Heroes Connected”?
Silvus’ rapid growth is fueled by a focus on research and innovation and a team of the most passionate, skilled and creative thinking individuals. If you are looking for a fulfilling experience, you owe it to yourself to learn how Silvus can be the next chapter of your career.
Silvus is seeking a Senior Product Engineer - Communication Systems to lead multi-discipline and multi-partner development teams in the design, integration, testing, and product roll-out phases of sophisticated and robustly packaged integrated antenna/radio communications systems for multiple military platforms (e.g., trucks, fast vehicles, etc.), quick-deploy solutions, as well as mounting and integration of Silvus systems onto customers’ deployment platforms.
This Senior Product Engineer - Communication Systems reports to the Director of Products on the Product Engineering team and is highly visible to senior management and influential towards existing and new product revenue areas as well as all levels of customer staff/team members and their system integrators. Direct customer and OEM partner interaction is an ongoing activity. This position is on a hybrid schedule, a minimum of 3 days onsite per week is expected. On-site days are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The location for this role is at Silvus Technologies’ headquarters in vibrant West Los Angeles, CA.
The following is a list of at least some of the current essential job functions of the position. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time at its discretion.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all technical and engineering aspects of assigned projects by coordinating and leading multiple OEM partners and internal Silvus engineering resources relating to communication systems integration with mast mounting solutions (stationary, at-the-halt, and on-the-move) as well as vehicle/maritime-based systems solutions for military and commercial customer bases.
- Be the technical liaison throughout the life of programs by interfacing with customer and customer’s integrators on a regular basis; create/present technical presentations, schedules, action plans, and risk mitigation plans. Formulate and present technical briefing materials for key program milestones and activities.
- Review requirements, specifications (including working knowledge of MIL-STDs 810H, and MIL-STD-1472H), and design mast mounted and deployable radio/antenna integrated solutions with considerations of wind loading, package stability and robustness.
- Support/conduct thermal testing/analysis, mechanical/electrical fit checks, FAAT, MIL-STD certification testing, and other testing related to design/product validation and acceptance. Coordinate product certifications with engineering and outside resources/test houses as needed
- Conduct product and system integration, product validation/testing, and related activities for new product/system introductions (NPI) of Silvus and third-party OEM products related to packaging and deployable solutions.
- Cooperate and communicate effectively with program manager, project participants (external and internal), and senior management to provide technical advisement, implementation plan scheduling, task prioritization, risk mitigation, and similar subject matter.
- Define/Refine technical requirements and implementation solutions working with customers, sales and technical support teams, product management, other internal departments, and OEM partners and subcontractors.
- Support and perform product evaluations and field trials for product accessories such as RF antennas, RF power amplifiers, power supplies/converters, mast mounting systems (stationary, at-the-halt, and on-the move) and proof-of-concept demonstrations, testing and validation as directed.
- Travel requirements – requires occasional travel to customer locations, test facilities/ranges, OEM partners, etc.
- Bachelor of Science (or higher) in Electrical Engineering or closely related field of study
- Minimum 8 years of hands-on and proficient experience in electronic systems engineering of delivered systems/products
- Minimum 8 years of direct project team leadership, particularly for DoD programs and working with large system integrators, demonstrated problem solving at the system and subsystem levels, and risk-management implementation
- Significant experience (3+ years) in generating and maintaining requirements documents, interface control documents, bills of materials in multi-layer systems and sub-systems and other large system documentation structures (especially related to military/DoD systems and programs)
- Solid experience in creating, understanding, and modifying mechanical, electrical, interconnecting cabling and harnesses, and similar type drawings
- Proven familiarity with EMC/EMI/environmental standards, certifications, and testing (commercial, FCC/TUV/etc., including international, and MIL-STDs
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Broad experience base in various system types (electro-mechanical, moving elements (sensors, actuators, hydraulics, etc.), and subsystem packaging
- Entire “design life-cycle” experience, from initial concept design, requirements specification, system level design, integration, and introduction to production/manufacturing
- Strong verbal and written communications skills to effectively communicate with customers, externally with OEM partners, and internally across the entire organization
- Possess a strong ability to work independently, take and demonstrate technical and project management initiative, continuously assess, and mitigate project risks (technical, schedule and financial), and effectively interact with cross-functional teams and customers
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability for project/program management, especially detail attentiveness (technical and program)
- Proficiency with PC office applications (including Microsoft Project) and mobile devices and collaborative tools (like Confluence, JIRA, etc.) and MRP systems (like Zoho)
- Prior experience in a fast-paced office environment
- CLEARANCE – current active DoD Secret Clearance; OR the ability to obtain and maintain an active clearance
$120,000 - $160,000 a year
The pay range is NOT a guarantee, is based on market research and peer data, and will vary depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
NOTE - Must be a U.S. Person (permanent resident or citizen) due to U.S. government contracts. Employment is contingent upon the successful clearance of a background check. This does NOT apply to International positions; only job postings for positions located in the US.
Silvus is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, religion or belief, ancestry, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*Silvus does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to Silvus Technologies.