UX Researcher (UXR)
New York, NY
We're reimagining how people enjoy sports.
Today, the sports betting industry predominantly relies upon manual labor to price and trade in-game betting markets. The user experience is less than ideal; it’s often complicated and transactional.
SimpleBet is using modern technology to enable sports betting market creation and trading to become entirely automatic and algorithmic for the first time ever. This creates more betting opportunities, enables more efficient pricing for existing betting activity, and reduces operating expenses via automation.
We are also recreating the sports betting user experience – enabling casual fans to interact with products that are simple, intuitive, and entertaining.
As a User Experience Researcher (UXR) at SimpleBet, you’ll help everyone focus on our end user. In this role, you will create understanding and empathy around user needs, stated and unstated, for your entire product team including designers, product managers, and engineers. You’ll conduct primary research, exploring the behaviors and motivations of our users through methods like field visits, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and logs analysis. Your research will help us create useful, usable, and delightful new products and features for people as well as continually innovating on our existing products. You’ll inspire change at all stages of product development by delivering compelling, written, in-person and visual presentations on your findings.
As the first UXR at SimpleBet, you’ll work closely with your immediate team as well as with the business development centers of the organization.
We'll trust you to:
- Define and measure UX goals and metrics.
- Examine existing data and product designs to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research.
- Analyze complex systems and how our tools fit within organizations and workflows.
- Identify and prioritize high-impact UX research opportunities through an understanding of technical requirements, business objectives, and our partners’ development processes.
- Drive change by communicating findings to stakeholders in the company.
- Make research findings convincing and actionable for both research experts and non-experts.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction/Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits, live/remote usability studies.
- Experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Experience in survey design (e.g., Qualtrics). Knowledge of statistics and experimental design.
- Understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Demonstrated understanding of agile principles and continuous discovery practices.
We'd love to see:
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Statistics or a related field
- 5 years of relevant work experience with User Experience or Human-Computer Interaction teams
- 2 years of work experience in an applied research setting
- Demonstrated expertise in multivariate statistics and the design of experiments, e.g. leverage empirical research methods from computer science, quantitative social science, statistics, econometrics, data science, and other fields to understand user behavior and extract meaningful patterns from large data sets.
- Experience and/or interest in sports, sports betting, and game design/mechanics
- Experience in both B2B and B2C environments
- Design and prototyping chops
SimpleBet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation for the interview process, and we will make every effort to provide it.