Head of People Operations
Northampton, United Kingdom
People – People Team
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge dataability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get theidea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
As Head of People Operations you’ll transform our people operations function to create a seamless, data-driven employee experience across every touchpoint.
You’ll be instrumental in achieving one of our key strategic pillars, creating a scalable people infrastructure, and instilling a competitive edge that enables us to deliver the best possible experience.
As Head of People Operations you’ll:
- lead our People Operations team of six, made up of a Core Admin team and Employee Relations Specialists
- Create a culture of continuous improvement
- Design and implement a revision of our HRIS technology and support processes to create a scalable People Operations function
- Partner closely with our US business to create a global community, finding synergies and opportunities to collaborate effectively
- Develop, in partnership with our People Analytics team, a UK people data strategy to allow us to produce meaningful people analytics and focus on adding value to our employee experience
We’re looking for someone who’ll:
- Ensure the team delivers against a strategy (which you’ll be responsible for) that evolves the People Operations team’s capabilities and deliverables
- Identify opportunities for MI automation, rationalisation and improvement, driving self-service opportunities to empower the business
- Measure and report on performance against the key components of the people plan, including use of data visualisation to proactively deliver insights beyond data
- Be a subject matter expert to leadership, the People team, managers and employees, on employee relations, people policies and people governance matters
- Be responsible for a suite of people policies, inline with our culture, growth ambitions and compliance
- Take full responsibility for all people governance and compliance processes
- Partner with:
- The Talent Experience team, to develop seamless admin support across our employee lifecycle, including hiring, onboarding, rewards, ER and L&D
- The People Partner team
- The rest of the People Leadership team (which you’ll be a part of), to create processes and tools that support the efficient delivery of cyclical activity, including pay audit, onboarding, policies review, and bonus eligibility tools, and advise on the best way to manage data, MI and systems
- The Data and Systems team
- UK Payroll, part of the Finance team, to deliver a seamless experience
- The US People Operations team, to find synergies and opportunities for effective collaboration globally
- Travelers, to understand the mechanism they can offer to support scalability
What we’re looking for:
- A track record of team management and positively leading a function through change
- Experience of working on a people operations transformation project, ideally in a scale-up environment and preferably with global experience
- Strong project management skills around planning and stakeholder management, ideally with previous experience in consulting
- The ability to communicate complex data in an engaging and compelling way
- A mindset of continuous improvement with drive and energy to deliver pragmatic solutions
- An autonomous self-starter with the ability to deal with ambiguity and prioritise effectively
- Commercial acumen combined with the conviction that an outstanding people experience is central to the success of a business
- Previous experience in employee relations matters
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences