Head of Underwriting
MGA – Underwriting /
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
Over the last 18 years we’ve established a core book of business, but we know we have more to give, and this is where you come in. You’ll be driving our growth by using data to identify new areas of opportunity, and you’ll have the ability to try new things quickly. The pace will be non-stop, and you’ll have a lot resting on your shoulders - but the rewards will be great.
The role tends to be split into 20% people management, 20% relationship, 20% regulatory/compliance, and 40% book management - making sure business writing as an insurer is profitable.
Reporting into Sean (Managing Director - Managing General Agent), whose management approach is to start with trust from day one, leaving people to perform at their best, and only offering support and feedback when you need it.
As our Head of Underwriting, you’ll:
- continue the profitable growth on the Managing General Agent (MGA) through market leading risk selection and pricing capabilities
- develop, and inspire a team of underwriters
- develop new revenue through new products and distribution opportunities
- manage our relationships with capacity providers and reinsurance partners
- monitor, manage, and draw insights from our claims data to improve our product development and performance
- maintain correct governance of the MGA and adhere to governance framework
We’re looking for someone who is:
- an insurance expert that can demonstrate their intimate knowledge of the industry, in particular the UK SME insurance market and underwriting principles
- an inspirational leader who knows how to motivate underwriting teams
- able to show excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- highly-motivated and enjoys working collaboratively
- able to effectively interact and influence at all levels
(We know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the bullet points above to be considered for this role.)
This role is regulated by the FCA and it will have specific responsibilities under those regulations. We'll explain these to you as part of the hiring process.
You'll be performing Senior Management Functions under the Senior Manager and Certification Regime (SM&CR), this means you'll also be subject to enhanced check and referencing in accordance with the FCA's guidelines.
We encourage people of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive, supportive place for you to be you and do your very best work.
Ready for your career defining moment? Apply today.
About Simply Business
We insure small businesses and enable big dreams – not just for our customers, but for our people and communities too. With over 900,000 active insurance policies, we protect builders, bakers, landlords, and more than 1,000 other trades.
We’re as much a technology company as one that sells insurance. We build, we fail, we learn, we improve. We’re a B Corp too, which recognises our strong track record of having a positive impact on people, society and the environment.
Why not check out our advert on YouTube: Simply Business TV advert 2022: You name it. We insure it.
What are the benefits?
We support every team member to balance work and life effectively.
• remote working - you can balance working remotely and connecting with colleagues in the office
• mental health and wellbeing resources - access to counselling and technology to support your mental health
• flexible parental leave - we pay six months full pay to the primary caregiver, and four weeks full pay if you’re the secondary caregiver
• paid sabbatical - two weeks off when you’ve been here five years and four weeks off when you’ve been here 10, 15 and 20 years
• a dedicated learning platform - the platform lets you balance both work and life goals (including management and leadership programme)
• life event leave - an extra day of leave every two years for whatever you want: moving house, welcoming a new pet, or your birthday
We also make sure you’re compensated fairly.
• competitive salary - based upon your experience and the market we’re in from day one
• annual bonus - the potential to earn a bonus based on business performance
• pension - we match what you put into your pension up to five percent
• health cash plan - we reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• holiday entitlement - 25 days leave, plus bank holidays (you can also use your flexible benefits to get up to five days more!)
• life assurance - four times your basic salary
• flexible benefits scheme - an allocated allowance to use each year on things like private medical insurance, dental insurance, travel insurance, up to five days extra holiday, and gym membership.
Ready to join us and drive our success as a high-performing team? Apply today.