Senior Software Test Engineer
Technology – QA
A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we're happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone. If you don’t have access to either of these, or you need support with your application, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Similarly, please email us if you’re not well, you’re self-isolating, or if you want to pause your application for a bit – we’ll be happy to keep you updated on future opportunities like the one below.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability. Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people. We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA. Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Senior Software Test Engineer to join us in London.
Our testing manifesto is about testing throughout over testing at the end, preventing defects over detecting them, building the right system over breaking it & testing understanding and assumptions over checking functionality. The goal is to be a subject matter expert in testing by expanding the quality mindset, thinking critically about not just functional, but non-functional requirements such as usability, functionality, performance, security, edge cases, testing strategies and best practices.
- Define testing strategies pre-implementation
- Work closely with developers during implementation to ensure appropriate type and levels of testing
- Perform functional and non-functional testing
- Help other team members share responsibility of designing and performing tests
- Emphasise the importance of executing the right tests
- Collaborate with product managers, have an understanding of what to test & deliver
- Help the team create well-defined testable acceptance criteria
- Help the team to perform testing during earliest stages of implementation
- Be involved in the pull request review process
- Assist in root cause analysis with customer facing issues & educate gaps in test approach
- Create and improve automated tests
- Choose and use appropriate testing tools and techniques to assess quality
- Work with testing community to improve test strategies & automation efficiencies
What we are looking for - Your DNA:
- Critical & Lateral thinking
- Systematic & Systems thinking
- Change agent with effective soft skills
- Product focused - ability to gain a deep understanding of the domain and our business over time
- Mindset to solve problems not symptoms
- Thought leader with a passion for training, mentoring and coaching others
- Understand the value of different types of testing techniques and when to apply them
- Fast to adapt to constant changes and feeling comfortable with it
- Comfortable pairing with engineers in a distributed, co-located environment
- Focus on what is most important at all times, realising when to change the game plan and when to stick to it
- Great communication skills, both within and outside the team
- Curiosity in understanding the domain and system architecture
- Have demonstrated ownership of continuous improvement initiatives around testing
What we are looking for - Your Skills:
- Deep understanding of testing principles and a variety of testing techniques and methods
- Strong understanding of Agile
- Strong desire to work collaboratively with business teams. We work in cross-functional teams comprising of developers, testers, product managers and any other supporting roles
- Strong interpersonal skills to work well in our very open and friendly environment
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, Ruby experience is not essential. You’ll just need to be happy to cross-over to Ruby if you join us – and we will support you with that
- Understand BDD, ability to work with product managers and developers to clarify business rules and capture these for automated verification Skilled in using a variety of testing tools at all levels in the testing pyramid
- Worked with continuous integration tools
We want to meet you
At Simply Business, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. Unfortunately, research has shown that some candidates, particularly women and people from other underrepresented groups, are put off applying for a job if they don’t fit every single one of the criteria.
But hiring at Simply Business isn’t a box ticking exercise – we’re much more interested in meeting people who’re excited to work with us. So if this job appeals to you and you think you’d be a good fit, send us your CV. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at interview soon.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
We also have a great deal more to pick and mix from, with things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering. In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences