Head of Data Engineering
London, United Kingdom
Technology – Data and Analytics
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Head of Data Engineering to join us in London.
The Data and Analytics team’s mission is to empower and inspire the company to create value through data. We not only provide data and insight, but we also create data products and machine learning applications to improve our services, both for customers and internally
As a Head of Data Engineering you will:
- lead a multi-disciplinary team that provides data and intelligence to all the internal company functions
- work and coordinate with other senior team members to identify, plan, develop and deliver data services
- build the data engineering capability by providing technical leadership and career development for the community
- build strong relationships with the senior team and all internal functions
- work with other Data and Analytics leads to define and implement the strategy of the department
- building and maintaining strong relationships with senior management, operational teams and tech
- ensuring development across teams is targeted on moving forward on the strategic goals of the business
- helping define consistent global metrics and reports across the business and geographies
- guiding the development of the data warehouse, enterprise KPIs, and our self-serve reporting environment
- providing leadership, structure and career development to the Data Engineering community
- building and developing the team to ensure they have the right mix of knowledge and skills to fulfil customer needs to keep our data platform at the cutting edge
What we are looking for:
- experience working with senior stakeholders to understand requirements and the architectural implications of various solutions
- experience managing and developing a diverse team of highly-skilled data professionals
- experience delivering self-serve reporting solutions, including the design and creation of front-end tools and dashboards
- experience delivering or supporting FP&A systems and processes
- experience delivering and maintaining software projects, especially around the big data ecosystem
- deep understanding of data modelling techniques and SQL
- deep understanding of software engineering practices in an object oriented or functional language
- high numeracy skills, naturally inquisitive, with attention to detail
- ability to explain complex data in a way which customers can relate to and make decisions from
- experience using Redshift, Snowflake, Looker, Tableau or similar tools is desirable
- experience with streaming applications, like Kafka Streams or Spark Streaming, is desirable
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences