Director of Product and Customer Experience
London, United Kingdom
Product – Customer Experience
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer
focus, and how that drives commercial success. We have invested significantly in setting up a talented team and our next
leader will build on that and the further organisation. They are genuinely empowered and autonomous team whose mission is
to discover and deliver technology products that customers love, that will work for our business.
These products cover our online shop, call centre applications, insurance platform and beyond. It’s an exciting opportunity to
be part of a company that has embraced modern product ways of working, and has invested in product discovery to help us
find the next big thing for our customers.
As a Director of Product and Customer Experience you will:
- Report to the COO with responsibility for Product, UX Product Design, and Customer Insight
- Lead the journey to continue Simply Business’ transformation into a product-led customer-centric organisation. We are in the early stages of the journey and the Director of Product will champion this transformation by delivering a strong vision and strategy across all aspects of our product; digital, and customer experience and being a strong influencer across the organisation
- Providing strong leadership to the UK Product team – establishing a vision, objectives and priorities and ultimately, being accountable for results
- Ensuring that Simply Business uses product-lead techniques – including discovery, customer insight, and validating value in increments – to create new products and features that are loved by our customers and have a positive commercial output
- Building and developing a cross-functional product team that drives high growth through customer insight, market disruption, product & supplier management and ultimately, working closely with the technology team, technology delivery
- Working with all business capabilities to put the product vision and strategy at the heart of the business
- Working in close partnership with the CTO and the broader tech community to secure the success of product through effective tech delivery in an Agile environment. A person who can deal with healthy 'tension' will thrive in the role
- Defining and embedding a test-and-learn, discovery-driven approach to enable rapid experimentation and deliver breakthrough growth
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience in leading digital product teams
- A credible track record of growing products to scale – ideally disrupting consumer markets with innovative digital products
- Extensive experience in Product Management, UX/Design and Customer Research
- A strong collaborator who can solve conflict and has a proven track record of building high-performing, highly engaged teams
- Demonstrable experience of strategic business planning and capability building, coupled with a deep understanding of product discovery methodology and digital distribution channels
- The ability to thrive in a cross-functional environment with multiple stakeholders
- Strong financial acumen, and it would also be advantageous to have technical knowledge of insurance or financial services
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences