Learning and Development Manager
London, United Kingdom
People – People Team
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We are looking for a Learning and Development Manager to join us, based in our London office.
Learning is one of our core values and the Simply Business L&D team want to make sure that all of our employees have access the best possible personal development and training opportunities.
We have bold plans for 2019 and exciting initiatives to launch from e-learning to a cutting edge on-boarding programme and this role will play a pivotal role in the success of these projects and the progression and development of our people.
As a Learning And Development Manager you will be:
- Business Partnering different departments to identify opportunities to either create or improve the quality of training and coaching
- Working closely with our Tech and Product teams to ensure technical training needs and inductions are being fulfilled
- Leading projects (with support from your L&D colleagues) to continuously improve the design of training materials and coaching interventions
- Supporting and creating career development initiatives to drive progression throughout the whole business
- Promoting Apprenticeships at Simply Business and managing training providers
- Working with providers to make the most out of our Apprenticeship Levy
- Designing and delivering cutting edge leadership development workshops as well as utilising external suppliers and partners to make sure we have a broad and valuable curriculum for all
- Rolling out and maintaining initiatives such as E-Learning and Video learning and launching them with a bang!
- Understanding our performance and success criteria to make sure that we understand the impact of our efforts
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience in the Learning and Development arena and therefore able to design and deliver fresh content
- Strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to effectively business partner our heads of department
- The ability to project manage initiatives, using technology, relationships and your organisational skills to move projects forward
- A strong interest and experience of delivering leadership content to managers as well as embedding initiatives such as Action Learning Groups and mentoring
- Strong experience of group and team facilitation
- Ability to coach and mentor
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal to engage your audience
- Ideally a Level 5 qualification in HR, L&D or Coaching
- Experience of working with tech or product oriented businesses / departments
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences