Senior Data Scientist
London, United Kingdom
Technology – Data and Analytics
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Senior Data Scientist to join us in London. As a team our mission is to transform Simply Business into a Machine Learning company.
The Data and Analytics team at Simply Business has a mission to empower and inspire the company to create value through data. One of our key goals for this year is to convert Simply Business into a company that regularly uses Machine Learning when it makes sense to do so – and we think that’s often!
We have a two-pronged strategy to achieve this. We will empower and help any team in the company to test ML easily and to develop more challenging ML projects. We are building a Data Science Platform based on AWS to achieve that. We will also partner with multiple business functions and teams to tackle more challenging problems within the business.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will:
- Design and develop data science solutions for a number of problems
- Be the most senior voice in data science
- Teach and empower people so that using Machine Learning becomes normalised across the company
- Help establish best practices in terms of code and processes as we move code to production
- Help design and develop the Simply Business Machine Learning Platform so that it’s well adjusted to ML needs
- Engage with other teams in the company so that they become more familiar with ML concepts
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- Being hands on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies
- Being proactive in collaborating, teaching and communicating with your colleagues
- Challenging us – we want (and need) you to challenge our ways of working in a productive manner. Our goal is to normalise the use of machine learning
What we are looking for:
- Value-driven attitude – we need someone who wants to put ML into production in a fast, iterative way
- Experience in putting ML projects in production
- We expect you to be knowledgeable of the maths, stats and algorithm design applied to ML
- We expect good programming skills in Python (and SQL). Python is what we use (and like). Knowing Spark, Scala or Java would be a plus
- Familiarity with AWS tools
- The ability to communicate complex technical concepts to colleagues in both tech and non-tech roles
- Someone with the right attitude. This will not be an easy job, but it will be rewarding. This team is being built to drive a technological transformation within the company. We need to deliver products and bring the company with us through the journey. We need a positive mentality but we also need you to challenge us. In a few years time we want to be able to look back and say: “we transformed Simply Business into a ML company.”
We want to meet you
At Simply Business, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. Unfortunately, research has shown that some candidates, particularly women and people from other underrepresented groups, are put off applying for a job if they don’t fit every single one of the criteria.
But hiring at Simply Business isn’t a box ticking exercise – we’re much more interested in meeting people who’re excited to work with us. So if this job appeals to you and you think you’d be a good fit, send us your CV. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at interview soon.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences