Engineering – Engineering
Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. By combining exceptional talent, technology, data, and knowledge, Simply Business is the go-to online insurance brokerage that protects small businesses and the entrepreneurs who work hard to build them.
We want team members who have the drive to challenge boundaries. If you’re smart and passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences, we’d love to hear from you.
We need a Staff Engineer to join us in our Boston office.
As a Staff Engineer, you will develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
- Being hands on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools, and technologies
- Working with other teams to resolve difficult technical implications that affect their projects.
- Championing Agile methodologies whilst creating amazingly useful systems in a collaborative way for our customers
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- Drive, and champion new technical practices through demonstration or education in your product team and to the wider Simply Business Tech community
What We Are Looking For:
- Familiarity with at least 2 programming paradigms and can mentor others in their use
- Strong programming skills in Ruby
- Ability to break down complex technical requirements (epics) into smaller stories to avoid large monolithic deliverables
- Ability to define a technical vision which you can share and get other tech team members to contribute to
- Willingness to challenge us! We love people who come in and challenge us and not be afraid to raise questions and help us improve
- An advocate of engineering best practices
A Handful Of Things We Believe In:
- Continuous delivery - we currently release software to production around 14 times a day on average
- Cross functional teams – we believe in collaboration across the whole organisation and we see Tech and Business teams as one team working together on projects (in fact, we even have our business product owners writing code).
- Continuous innovation - we do fortnightly hackathons as one example to drive experimentation with new technologies and ways of working
- Never chaining ourselves to a technology - using the ‘right tool for the job
What are the benefits?
Here are some of the great benefits and perks that come from being a Simply Business employee:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy, and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
• Flexible working hours and working from home
• Annual company trip, regular outings, and volunteer opportunities
• An awesome WeWork office with cold brew coffee, beer on tap, local pop-up events, and more
As a company, we pride ourselves on inclusion in the workplace. Simply Business is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Want more info on working at Simply Business? Check out our careers page: https://www.simplybusiness.com/careers/