Ruby Software Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Technology – Technology
Who are Simply Business?
We insure over half a million small businesses in the UK alone and have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA. We have over 100 talented software engineers working on our platforms and are proud to have been voted the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For in 2015 and 2016. We’re expanding fast and are looking for exceptional individuals to help shape the next phase of our journey – maybe that could be you?
Why Simply Business?
We really care about best practices, developing our engineers and improving our codebase. Our engineers have formed working groups around code quality, design direction and techniques like domain-driven design. They run regular workshops on code refactoring, technical book clubs and give presentations on modern technologies. We support this by giving all our engineers paid time dedicated to personal development, along with running regular internal workshops and training. We even send people to different external conferences, courses and events each year.
We have mentorship schemes and would love for you to be involved, both as a mentor and as a mentee. We’ll support your career in the direction you’d like it to go, whether it’s learning how to lead teams or by giving you the chance to solve more difficult technical problems. If you’re looking for flexibility or the option to work remotely, you’re in luck! We have engineers who are fully remote and also engineers who split their time between working remotely and coming into the office. Whether you cut down on the commute by working from home or not, you’ll have a great work-life balance.
More about the role
- being hands-on with code and developing our products using best practices, along with appropriate tools and technologies
- working with cross functional teams, helping to clarify requirements at the onset of projects and suggesting different and relevant technical approaches
- championing Agile processes across the team
- highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- mentoring junior members of the team where needed
- being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies and ways of working
What we are looking for
- strong programming skills in Ruby
- an advocate of engineering best practices (particularly in regards to testing)
- experience of working closely with business teams when building products
- experience of working with Agile methodologies
- strong interpersonal skills to work well in our very open and friendly environment
- proactive in suggesting new tools, processes and technologies – anything that will help us continually improve
- the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical members of the team
There’s all the serious (but important) benefits we call ‘core benefits’. This includes an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%), generous annual leave, life assurance and a salary that reflects your experience.
On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, dental or extra holiday days.
At Simply Business, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. Unfortunately, research has shown that some candidates, particularly women and people from other underrepresented groups, are put off applying for a job if they don’t fit every single one of the criteria.
But hiring at Simply Business isn’t a box ticking exercise – we’re much more interested in meeting people who’re excited to work with us. So if this job appeals to you and you think you’d be a good fit, send us your CV.