Technology – Engineering
Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach small business insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. Founded in 2005 (with our first international office in Boston launched in 2016), Simply Business is an online business insurance brokerage that specializes in one thing: protecting the businesses that entrepreneurs have worked hard to build.
Through blending a combination of technology, data, and insurance knowledge - with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers - we are looking to simplify the insurance-buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our team.
As a Engineering Manager you:
Will be the technical leader and manager for a team and have a significant impact on the team’s success within a culture that champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous improvement & collaboration
- Defining and leading the technical and architectural vision for your team in a way that allows other tech team members to contribute
- Working with Product Managers and other business stakeholders to define and design technical solutions to complex business problems
- Breaking down complex technical requirements (epics) into smaller stories and managing their dependencies
- Managing a team of Engineers and effectively supporting their career development through coaching and guidance
- Identifying and removing bottlenecks and roadblocks in the delivery process to help your team succeed
- Being involved in the recruitment of new members of the tech team and contributing to creating a best-in-class hiring culture
- Advising on new tools, processes and technologies - anything that will help your team continuously improve
- Working with the wider Engineering Management team to define the roles and standards across the whole tech team
What We Are Looking For:
- Strong experience of leading and managing teams including career development and performance management
- Ability to identify the most high-value projects and keep your team focused on these
- Proven architectural skills and experience with leading design sessions and code reviews
- Comfortable managing team members with different skill-sets and levels of experience
- A superb level of coding ability with either Ruby, Java, PHP, Python or C#
- Solid experience of working in an environment which practices Agile, Continuous Delivery and TDD
- Proven ability to challenge processes, suggest new ways of working and propose new tools/technologies which could benefit the business
- A strong personality to be able to lead change across the organization where needed
- Ability to set the vision and drive cultural change across the organization
- An advocate of open source and using the right tool for the job
- Proven experience of working collaboratively with business and management teams
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
Plus there’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call "core benefits".
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
• Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose)and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more
It’s a big claim but we genuinely believe the Simply Business culture is truly unique. You sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there!
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences