London, United Kingdom
Legal – Legal
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
You will be a qualified lawyer, ideally with in-house experience in a position of responsibility. You will have a strong commercial background, with sound, technical skills and excellent interpersonal skills. Supporting teams, you will be a business facilitator, with the ability to identify problems, propose solutions and provide an all-round great legal service.
As a Legal Counsel you will be:
- building strong relationships with the various business functions and providing daily legal support to them
- providing expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and supporting commercial and contract issues across the business
- assisting the business in navigating complex issues with an output and delivery focus
- drafting and negotiating contracts with suppliers, carriers and customers
- managing disputes with third parties
- delivering relevant legal training or legal playbooks, according to the needs of the business
- managing external counsel where appropriate
What we are looking for:
- up to 4 years PQE
- evidence that you’ve had rigorous training, ideally in a well-regarded law firm or strong in-house practice
- some directly relevant and transferable experience, either in the field of commercial contracts or in insurance/reinsurance
- legal knowledge in a wide variety of relevant areas of law applicable to the company’s business, including marketing, regulatory, compliance, commercial, and corporate transactional matters
- willingness to learn new areas of law, to practice as a generalist, and to learn key aspects of the company’s business
- excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and leadership skills
- ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- ability to handle and resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- ability to work independently and flexibly as well as being a great team player
- above all, a positive attitude and a willingness to get stuck in with a wide range of legal and commercial issues.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences