Senior Technical Coach
London, United Kingdom
Technology – Development
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Senior Technical Coach to join us in London.
If you’re smart, passionate about technology and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our best-in-class tech team.
As a Senior Technical Coach you will:
- Coaching & mentoring: Work with individuals and teams using a variety of coaching & mentoring techniques to support the improvement of our agile engineering practices. Bring an outside perspective to help a team see themselves more clearly. Work side by side with the teams to help them balance the needs of delivering on their project with the needs of learning and improving their technical practices. Help individuals with less experience find directions to grow in that are relevant to them, their team, and their project, while helping those with more experience get better and grow their technical coaching skills as well (training the trainers)
- Software Craftsmanship & Engineering leadership: Refine the engineering paradigm within which developers and testers work - including agile engineering principles, patterns and practices that teams adopt. Challenge existing technical practices where appropriate and guide the team in improving them and in adopting better practices. Work with our Tech/Development Leads to review and continuously improve our engineering discipline iteratively with feedback, actions and guidance
- Training & content: Organise workshops, communities of practice, bootcamps, training sessions, dojos, etc. to develop our agile engineering practices. Create insightful content on technical topics for the various training formats, for internal as well as external publication
What we are looking for:
- Deep understanding of Extreme Programming (XP) values and principles
- Proven track record of applying and promoting agile engineering practices, particularly those from XP: TDD, Refactoring, Pair Programming, Simple Design - to name just a few
- Bridging the gap between product and engineering through BDD, DDD, working effectively with user stories (story mapping, slicing, etc)
- Good understanding of Continuous Delivery and DevOps principles and practices
- Great people skills and effectiveness in influencing the actions of the teams
Our Tech Stack:
● Ruby / Rails
● Cucumber / RSpec / Turnip / Jasmine
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences