Business Development Manager
London, United Kingdom
Customer Team – Brand and Partnerships
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We’re taking our award-winning service into new sectors and we’re looking for a Business Development Manager to join our Partnerships team. Taking responsibility for the development and execution of new business strategy across multiple sectors, you will be highly driven, highly commercial, agile and passionate with impeccable sales skills. Using your contacts and developing new networks, you will bring on board new partnerships to support the continual growth of the Simply Business Partnerships channel. If this sounds like you and you’re ready to join a growing team in an exciting, rapidly scaling business, get in touch!
As a Business Development Manager you will:
- work closely with the Head of Partnerships to develop and execute new business strategy in target sectors
- identify and validate partnership opportunities efficiently and own the full sales cycle from lead generation onwards. You’ll also lead discussions with prospects, define partnership models, and close contracts
- be solely accountable for hitting deal pipeline targets in your sectors
- launch partners with joint business plans and accurate budgeting
- work with cross-functional teams to understand and develop best-in-class partnerships and product solutions
- attend industry events, representing Simply Business as the insurance partner of choice in the small commercial lines space, providing updates to the business on developments in the industry and your sectors
What we are looking for:
- you’ll have a minimum of four years experience in a commercial partnerships role for an insurance company, ideally in commercial lines with contacts across the industry and the insurance partner distribution landscape
- direct experience of successfully creating, implementing and developing new business strategies
- direct experience of sourcing and signing multiple partnership deals of varying types and complexity, with excellent deal negotiation and commercial structuring skills
- a demonstrable track record of meeting and exceeding targets
- a self-starter with the ability to manage and prioritise your own workload and pipeline to the needs of the business, with effective communication skills
- a highly confident relationship builder with the natural ability to engage, build relationships and networks and understand the needs of prospective partners
- someone comfortable with technology, working in a technology-orientated organisation and excited by the potential of technology to innovate in the insurance industry
- superb communication skills with a natural flair for producing and delivering compelling pitches, presentations and proposals
- impressive negotiation and influencing skills at C-level
- a strategic thinker with strong problem solving skills
- a true team player and someone fun to work with
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences