London, United Kingdom
Technology – Data and Analytics
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Data Scientist to join us in London.
As a team our mission is automate processes across the company using Machine Learning.
The existing data platform at Simply Business relies entirely on cloud services (AWS) and enables reporting and analytics through the entire company. It is now time to, using this platform as a starting point, enhance our services to include machine learning data products. Our final goal is to build what we call the The Simply Business Machine Learning Platform where all the current and future ML projects should “live”. Emphasise that this is the largest technical task that Simply Business will be addressing in the mid- and long-term and is our team’s responsibility to ensure its success.
As a Data Scientist you will:
- Design and execute data solutions for a number of problems involving for example, risk modelling or the optimisation of our call centre.
- Help establishing best practices in terms of code and processes as we move code to production.
- Help designing the Simply Business Machine Learning Platform so that is well adjusted to ML needs.
- Engage with other teams in the company so that they become more familiar with ML concepts
- Being hands on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies.
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation.
- Being proactive in collaborating and communicating with your colleagues
- More importantly challenging us. We want and need you to challenge our ways of working in a productive manner. Our goal is to normalise the use of machine learning.
What we are looking for:
- We expect you to be knowledgeable of maths, stats and algorithm design applied to machine learning.
- We expect good programming skills in Python (and SQL). Python is what we use and like. Knowing Spark, Scala or Java would be a plus.
- Familiarity with AWS tools.
- Familiarity with the concepts around production environments.
- The ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both tech and non tech colleagues.
- And we could keep writing technical skills forever but what we are really looking for is attitude. This will not be an easy job, but it will be rewarding. This team is being built to drive a technological transformation within the company. Our favourite words are, in this order: delivery, delivery and delivery. We need to deliver products and bring the company with us through the journey. We need a positive mentality but we also need you to challenge our ways. In a few years time we want to be able to look back in time and say: “we transformed Simply Business into a ML company”.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences