Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack)
London, UK /
Technology (UK) – Development /
A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we're happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability. Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people. We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA. Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. We're proud of our inclusive and supportive culture, and we're passionate about creating an environment where everyone's cultural backgrounds, skills, and perspectives are valued. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Following the UK's exit from the European Union, there are changes to Legal Right to Work legislation that applicants from the EU will need to be aware of.
Before 30th June 2021, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens have a legal right to work in the UK and can provide a passport as evidence of this. No visa will be required.
From 30th June 2021, EU citizens will be required to provide evidence of settled or pre-settled status in the UK as evidence of right to work. Without this, EU citizens will require a visa to work in the UK.
We need a Senior Engineer to join us in our Bank, London office.
As a Senior Engineer you will:
- develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
- being hands-on with code in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies
- working with cross functional collaborative teams, helping to clarify requirements at the onset of projects and suggesting different and relevant technical approaches
- championing Agile processes across the team
- highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- mentoring junior members of the team where needed
- being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies and ways of working
What we are looking for:
- full-stack development experience
- strong programming skills in an OOP language such as Java, Python, Ruby etc
- an advocate of engineering best practices (particularly in regards to testing)
- experience of working closely with business teams when building products
- experience of working with Agile methodologies
- strong interpersonal skills to work well in our very open and friendly environment
- pro-active in suggesting new tools, processes and technologies – anything which will help us continually improve! The ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical members of the team
- the ability and desire to mentor more junior members of the team
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership, lifestyle pot, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
These are available to all staff from your first day. Here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
• generous holiday entitlement
• life assurance – 4 x your basic salary
• a health cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• unlimited access to 24/7 virtual GP
• bupa nurse healthline
• employee assistance programme (EAP)
• eye care vouchers
• local discounts
The fun stuff
We also have a great deal more to pick and mix from, with things like:
• a full gym membership
• lifestyle pot (a pot of cash to be used against anything you want need: well being, personal development, hobbies or childcare costs)
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave (up to 5 days)
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
• merlin pass
• taste card
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering. In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We're trusted to get the right stuff done in the way that suits us best
We respect the uniques skills and perspective that everyone has
If we can make it simpler, we do, and if we can’t then we explain it so everyone can understand
We’re always learning, developing and improving, and helping others do the same
We lead with purpose and make things happen