Senior Risk and Compliance Manager (13 month FTC)
London, United Kingdom
Compliance – Compliance
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
This role is responsible for ensuring the Risk and Compliance team strikes the perfect balance between the commercial interests of the business, management of risks faced by the business, the statutory objectives of the regulator and the interests of our customers.
As a Senior Risk and Compliance Manager you’ll:
- embed compliance and risk management across the business, creating a culture of compliance
- carry out risk and compliance activities, such compliance reviews, horizon scanning, quarterly risk reviews and risk workshops
- be accountable for delivery of risk and compliance activities, delivering to plan and ensuring results and actions are communicated effectively to the wider business
- manage the function that provides compliance guidance to the business
- support the Head of Risk and Compliance in preparing quarterly and monthly reports for senior management, the Risk and Audit Committee and the Board, as well as quarterly FCA reporting
- chair our internal compliance forum
Responsibilities include (Compliance):
- advising the business on compliance and regulatory matters, including general compliance queries, business initiatives and projects
- being the main point of contact for questions relating to the FCA handbook
- ensuring the compliance and regulatory environment is fully understood by staying up to date with latest developments and communicating key updates to the business
- communicating requirements and creating plans to ensure best practices are implemented
- owning the compliance monitoring plan, ensuring completion of proactive and regular compliance activities and policy reviews, with responsibility for final review and sign offs and communicating results
- internal stakeholder communications, such as quarterly and monthly reports to senior management, the Risk and Audit Committee and the Board
- external stakeholder communications, such as quarterly FCA reporting and insurer and partner requests
- leading the Compliance, Risk and Issues Committee every six weeks, with responsibility for preparing the pre-meeting information pack and minutes
- general support and guidance and day-to-day management of the activities of the Risk and Compliance team
Responsibilities include (Risk):
- supporting the Head of Risk and Compliance in designing, implementing and embedding the Risk Management Framework (RMF), assessing its effectiveness and completing risk plans
- liaising with risk owners to identify, analyse and evaluate risks (scoring in line with the RMF), developing risk mitigation strategies and monitoring completion of risk actions
- managing the risk reporting process – being the point of contact on risk matters for the London office
- adequate and timely risk reporting via the dashboard
- ensuring the risk registers are maintained, reviewed and evaluated, with support from the Risk and Compliance Administrator
What we’re looking for:
- financial services experience and extensive compliance experience
- a great people manager, with experience in leading a team to achieve results
- a good communicator, who can get messages across effectively, to both internal and external stakeholders
- someone who’s creative, curious and willing to challenge the status quo
- someone who’s organised and able to work on their own initiative, manage their own workload and oversee the workload of the wider team
- a professional qualification such as the ICA certificate in Compliance or the CII Certification (ideally)
- good computer skills, with advanced PowerPoint and Excel skills, to create presentations, charts and tables (ideally)
- someone with a relentless focus on getting the right result for our people and our customers
- someone who enjoys a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences