Senior Front End Engineer (Contract)
London, United Kingdom
Technology – Development
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We are looking for a Senior Front End Engineer who is passionate about user interfaces that are not only functional and user friendly but also looks slick and awesome. You will provide critical input to the user experience from a front-end development perspective. This would be great for someone who is a thought leader in the UI space and is excited by the chance to create something amazing to put in front of our customers
As a Senior Front End Engineer you will....
- Work with the Creative Design team and build UIs for applications based on the provided design
- Provide feedback on the designs
- Helping to set standards, common interface libraries, build an experiment tool-kit for product discovery teams
- Provide guidance, support, and best practice in front-end techniques to the tech team
- Working alongside product and UX teams to analyse business requirements
- Working on our responsive website and pushing the boundaries with modern technologies
- Helping us continually improve by suggesting new technologies, tools and ways of working
- Taking ownership of projects and driving them forward for example: “support and influence product prioritisation” or “lead, inspire and develop a high performance culture”
What we are looking for
- Familiarity /experience with a modern bundling toolchain, such as BabelJS, ESLint, Webpack, Rollup, Parcel, etc
- Proven responsive web design experience
- Knowledge and experience with one or more of the main JS frameworks e.g. ReactJS, AngularJS, Vue, etc .
- A willingness to learn ReactJS
- Experience in working in a component-first architecture (and using tools such as Storybook, etc)
- Awareness of users/customer-focused design techniques
- Experienced with front-end architecture best practices
- Able to communicate well with tech & non-tech colleagues
- Ability to analyse & discuss business requirements and ask the right questions
- Understanding and appreciation for Agile practices
- Experience with static typing, either FlowType and/or Typescript
- Experience with CSS-in-JS solutions: Styled-Components, EmotionJS, etc
- Experience with Redux (and Redux-Sagas), GraphQL, or RxJS
We want to meet you
At Simply Business, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. Unfortunately, research has shown that some candidates, particularly women and people from other underrepresented groups, are put off applying for a job if they don’t fit every single one of the criteria.
But hiring at Simply Business isn’t a box ticking exercise – we’re much more interested in meeting people who’re excited to work with us. So if this job appeals to you and you think you’d be a good fit, send us your CV. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at interview soon.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences