Accounts Assistant (6 month secondment)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Finance – Finance
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Accounts Assistant to join us in the Revenue Accounting Team based in Northampton on a 6 month Fixed Term Secondment
As a team we are responsible for allocating Revenue income from our customers correctly, feeding into the month end reconciliations to report our Income generated and providing support to the consultants in the contact centre, amongst a number of other key revenue processes.
We require an Accounts Assistant to join the Finance Team. We would like someone who has a keen eye for detail, uses their own initiative, is highly organised and has the ability to prioritise their own workload.
As an Accounts Assistant you will:
- Provide support to the Head of Revenue Accounting with Team Administration Duties, which can include but are not exclusive to: Monthly Team Timetable, Team Meeting Minutes, preparation of MI Packs
- Provide support to the Revenue Accounting Team with daily Administration Duties, these can include but are not exclusive to:
- Provide support to the Senior Accounts Assistant & be available to assist with month end related queries
- Review the bank accounts for customer payments and maintenance of a cheque clearance log
- Account Inbox Management and handling of queries alongside management of queries from internal application
- Apply BACS receipts and refunds to report and reconcile correctly investigating any differences / errors
- Ensure the debtors report has been completed each week
- Produce customer cheque refunds and handling any queries arising from them
- Analyse and resolve bounced BACS queries
- Collate payment receipts into reconciliation and calculate commission figures
- Complete weekly reconciliation control checks to ensure fit for purpose and investigate issues prior to month end
- Process Chargebacks as they appear on the monthly bank statement
- Support Contact Centre Consultants
- Ability to take on adhoc tasks and project related work where required
What we are looking for:
- Ability to identify and update Policy details on BACS Upload documents
- Knowledge to Authorise Cheque requests, produce customer cheque refunds and handle queries arising from them, as well as assisting with archiving of old cheque requests
- Experience in an administration environment
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Strong organisation & time management skills
- The ability for you to be able to work in partnership with all areas of the business
- Able to manage confidential data in a professional and sensitive wayGood understanding of Excel
- Good understanding of numerical analysis and reconciliations
- Good attention to detail
- Experience using basic formulae in Excel (SUMIF, VLOOKUP), although this is not essential
- Flexible to changing priorities and support the Revenue Accounting Team
- Excellent opportunity to progress knowledge, understanding and experience in Finance
- Work towards and/or progress an Accountancy Qualification
- Opportunity to learn key skills from management of financial data & the impact it has on the wider business
- Enhances future prospects to develop career progression within a financial environment
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences