Financial Accountant - 18 month FTC (Mat leave cover)
Finance – Finance
A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we're happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone. If you don’t have access to either of these, or you need support with your application, get in touch with us at email@example.com. Similarly, please email us if you’re not well, you’re self-isolating, or if you want to pause your application for a bit – we’ll be happy to keep you updated on future opportunities like the one below.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and bright, qualified accountant to support the Financial Controller and wider finance team in
providing a high quality technical financial accounting and business support service.
Contributing to the provision of accurate management information on a timely basis for business decision making
purposes and ensuring a tight control environment.
As a Financial Accountant you will:
- Assist in the month end process by:
- Calculating and posting monthly journals and preparing accurate and fully supported balance sheet reconciliations ( Fixed assets, Intangibles, Prepayments, Intercompany, debtors, creditors, tax.)
- Assisting in the preparation of the monthly management accounts and reports for internal management, investigating variances and correcting errors where necessary, identifying areas for improvement and streamlining processes
- Assisting in the preparation of financial reports for the company owners, monthly and quarterly
- The key point of contact throughout the year end audit process preparing and providing information and responding to queries where required for both internal and external audits, including SOX reporting and Tax computations. Owning the year end process.
- Provide technical IFRS advice/assistance to the finance team where required and to assess and account for any impact following changes to reporting standards for both UK and US GAAP
- Preparation of the company Statutory accounts, in accordance with IFRS
- Provide financial support to departments, teams and budget holders as appropriate
- Key point of contact for all financial reporting for the quarterly reporting to the FCA and ONS
- Be a superuser for our accounting and purchase order systems
- Coordinate with company’s owners and external advisors around Corporation tax computations and payments
- Working with the Parent Company internal audit team and ensuring compliance with the relevant SOX controls across the whole of the company
- Providing advice and assistance to the Accounts Payable function, where required
- To carry out ad hoc analysis work, as required, and to perform other tasks as required by the Finance Director and Financial Controller
- To assist in the management of / maintain the Chart of Accounts across various systems
What we are looking for:
- Qualified Accountant (ACA or ACCA) with minimum 3 years experience post qualification
- Highly numeric/strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify control weaknesses and proactivity to suggest and implement improvements where required
- Ability to work well under pressure, working accurately with attention to detail, and continually meeting tight deadlines
- Professional, committed and organised approach to work with a drive for results
- An excellent communicator (written and oral) who is confident speaking with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of IFRS
- A high level of computer literacy – needs to be a proficient user of financial systems & competent in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Advanced Excel skills including datacube plug-ins, look- ups, pivot tables and use of advanced formulae
- Team player and someone who fits in well with our great culture
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
We also have a great deal more to pick and mix from, with things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences