Head of Internal Comms and Engagement
London, United Kingdom
Marketing – Brand Marketing
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place towork.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston,USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
As a team we’re responsible for creating excitement, delivering demand and inspiring loyalty.
We are guardians of, and ambassadors for, the Simply Business brand, aiming to position us as positively distinct versus our competitors.
As a central resource, we provide support on design, copy, content and communication - right across Simply Business.
We’re looking for…
An expert communicator to create and own the delivery of Simply Business’ internal communications strategy, developing a new narrative and establishing new comms channels in line with our values to engage employees based in the UK and US. Working into the Head of Brand and Communications, this exciting new role will be a trusted strategic adviser to the Global CEO and Leadership Team, building a world-class communications function that’s pivotal to our ambition to scale an award-winning culture globally.
What you'll be doing:
- Setting the standard for what brilliant, effective, and engaging communications should look like at Simply Business
- Building strong, company-wide relationships and acting as the key point of comms support for our Global CEO and the rest of our Leadership team across any strategic communication they are representing
- Developing the internal narrative that should guide and inspire 500+ people through what promises to be a stunning new chapter of growth
- Defining communications principles we can flex to the needs of our different audiences, different projects and different offices.
- Help our various audiences understand their role in executing our strategy and driving business performance, creating buy-in to the Simply Business purpose and a sense of the future that is both motivating and credible
- Identify specific ways to enhance existing Internal Communications tools; constantly exploring and testing new ideas
- Devise an internal communications strategy that drives the ambition of the business to ultimately grow to one million customers by 2023
- You will be a key contributor and custodian of our award-winning culture through the coordination of internal communication efforts
We're looking for someone who has:
- Passion for ensuring that employees have a first-class experience and perception of Simply Business through clear, timely, on-brand comms
- The skills and gravitas to work with and guide the most senior of stakeholders, being able to give them specific direction and challenge them in the way they deliver messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship management, enabling you to work with multiple stakeholders, handle multiple projects – and meet new challenges – with composure and confidence
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with a drive to contribute new ideas
- Expert written skills – the ability to simplify complex information with a flair for persuasive ‘storytelling’ – via presentations, videos and internal ads
- Proven success driving employee engagement across a global organisation with a thorough understanding of how communications influence behaviours and therefore the pros and cons of different channels and methodologies
- Strong leadership and management skills, leading the way in culture, diversity and inclusivity
- Is curious to understand what motivates different people and can easily assess our culture and make recommendations for a tailored internal communications strategy that preserves and encourages our culture
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences