Data Protection Officer
London, United Kingdom
Legal – Legal
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
The Data Protection Officer will take the lead in making sure our UK governance structure and day-to-day operations are compliant with applicable data protection regulations, ensuring Simply Business is prepared for future changes and opportunities. We’re looking for a strong business leader who plays a key role in strategy and decision making, who can ensure that we not only respond to our regulatory environment, but also that we’re at the forefront of current and future developments and opportunities.
As a Data Protection Officer you will:
- act as senior point-of-contact for (and intermediary between) key stakeholders including the supervisory authority (ICO), data subjects and internal departments, the senior management team and the board
- foster buy-in and a culture of data protection throughout the business
- ensure the data protection team and wider business is sufficiently resourced for our data protection needs, responding efficiently and effectively
- lead the development and continuous improvement of suitable and up to date data protection projects, policies, procedures and systems
- inform and advise the business and its staff about their obligations to comply with data protection laws, providing appropriate support and guidance on the practical interpretation of data protection regulations in a manner aligned to the business needs
- work closely with our Legal, Information Security and Risk & Compliance Teams to ensure that all aspects of data protection compliance are addressed
- prioritising activities and focusing efforts on issues that present higher data protection risks
- effectively resourcing and leading the data protection team and delegating projects and tasks to appropriate members of the team
- providing support and advice on data protection impact assessments
- leading data protection metrics, monitoring and audit activities to ensure compliance with applicable data protection regulations
- leading an effective programme of awareness and training across the organisation
- ensuring ongoing continued professional development and networking to keep up to date on industry and national data protection developments
- reporting on key updates, risks, mitigation and compliance status to senior management and the board
What we’re looking for:
- IAPP (CIPP/E/CIPM) or equivalent data protection qualification (or qualifications)
- graduate degree or compensating experience in a privacy management role in a financial services or commercial environment
- relevant level of expertise with the sensitivity, complexity and amount of data that Simply Business processes
- excellent understanding of all applicable current and planned data protection regulations
- sufficient understanding of the processing operations carried out by Simply Business
- a good working knowledge of physical and technical Information Security
- high levels of integrity and professional ethics with the ability to remain impartial and report all incidents of non-compliance
- a commitment to continuous personal development (CPD), such as keeping up-to-date with developments within data protection and completing any necessary training
- team player adaptable to fast-paced, changing, and international environment
- ability to manage tight deadlines planning and prioritisation, with accuracy and attention-to-detail
- a highly disciplined person, self-motivated, and delivery-focused
- excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- strong stakeholder management and influencing skills
- commercially aware
- strong leadership and strategic skills and presence
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences