Associate Product Manager
London, United Kingdom
Product Management – Product
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
As a team we are responsible for…
Maintaining and evolving our Partnerships product portfolio by optimising our existing opportunities, and unlocking new growth through innovative propositions. We work with multiple partners in the price comparison and aggregator sector, ensuring they can provide our best-in-class insurance experience to their customers. This requires internal and external collaboration, across multiple product areas, commercial and marketing teams. Our Partnerships products are a core part of the Simply Business growth strategy, and as such have the backing and investment to make sure we continue to stand out from competitors.
As an Associate Product Manager you will:
- work with the Senior Product Manager, Engineering Lead and a large, cross-functional engineering and discovery team to grow the core Partnerships product, seeking outcomes that support our ambitious company growth plans
- work with Partnerships Business Owners to execute the Partnerships proposition growth plan, delivering on the existing Partnerships strategy
- act as product lead to ensure delivery meets our partners’ expectations and requirements, communicating and explaining changes, and prioritising requests
- manage validated delivery objectives through the agile development lifecycle, ensuring a constant stream of value and regular feedback opportunities to navigate the fast-paced and ever-changing nature of partners’ businesses
- keep the end customer in mind as you work with the product discovery unit to help discover and validate core product improvements, solving problems for customers, partners and commercial stakeholders
- working closely with the Senior Product Manager and Engineering Lead to ensure we deliver in an efficient, cost-effective manner, whilst embracing ambiguity and developing a good technical understanding
- liaising with the Partnerships Business Owners to communicate and manage initiatives that support the delivery of the overarching Partnerships strategy
- understanding the business requirements for the core Partnerships product, owning and prioritising the backlog and ensuring a sense of urgency and momentum
- working with the Engineering Lead to write user stories and acceptance criteria, breaking down delivery into small, trackable chunks and delivering value as early as possible
- ensuring internal and external stakeholders are kept up to date with appropriate regular updates and clear communications when changes are scheduled
- reviewing and signing-off changes before deployment and ensuring that all production changes meet our partnership agreements and any predetermined timings
- explaining to the engineering team the business needs of our partners, and why we are delivering changes at the point we are, based on an understanding of the market, competitors, the data, and our customer needs
- working with the product discovery unit and partner customer insight teams to validate product growth opportunities, taking a data-driven approach and learning to work with various experimental techniques
What we are looking for:
- someone with humility, empathy and a bias to action, who is comfortable with ambiguity and excited to learn
- a clear understanding of product principles, agile methodology and the importance of a lean philosophy
- strong communication and interpersonal skills, a history of stakeholder management and decision making
- resilience and a drive to deliver outcomes over output, maintaining a focus on the customer in all things
- appreciation of the complexity and power of software engineering, able to weigh the costs against value delivered
- proactive risk elimination, looking after our business and our partners, to contribute to ruthless prioritisation
- confidence in the price comparison marketplace, with an understanding of the customer needs therein; experience or working for or with a Price Comparison Website or Aggregator is desirable
- fluency with data, experimentation and the BML cycle
- a good cultural fit, who is respectful, fair and trustworthy, passionate, caring and collaborative
- facilitation experience, a familiarity with running small group sessions, or presenting to larger mixed groups
- a more than fleeting awareness of the insurance industry, and the range of small businesses we cater to; knowledge of Motor, Home or Commercial insurance is desirable
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences