Washington, DC /
Public Affairs /
SKDK, an award-winning public affairs and political advertising agency, is looking for a driven, self-starter to join its public affairs team as a Director. With offices in Washington, D.C., New York City, Albany, and Los Angeles, SKDK brings unparalleled strategic communications experience to Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, philanthropic organizations, labor unions, political committees, and candidates.
Whether it is creating a campaign launch video for a candidate, assisting a corporate client on establishing messaging around their corporate social responsibility strategy, or guiding a nonprofit through a crisis, SKDK is always at the forefront, leading the charge. There is no company better that understands the intersection of press, politics, and policy.
At SKDK, we are made whole by the diversity of our team. We are a firm that invites and celebrates the uniqueness of each member of our team and encourages individuals to bring their best selves into the workplace. Whether it is through participation in one of our Employee Resource Groups, serving on our DEI Council, opportunities to volunteer, or bringing a new perspective to client work, your individuality and experience matters.
As a Director, you will be responsible for driving overall strategy and advising clients and account teams on new initiatives.
A Director’s job responsibilities include:
- Leading small client teams and managing junior staff’s work with input from team leads.
- Tracking client deliverables and timelines.
- Maintaining regular client communication, including reporting.
- Anticipating and delivering on client needs.
- Securing and managing coverage in local and national print and broadcast outlets.
- Developing and maintaining booker, producer, and reporter relationships.
- Building robust media strategies.
- Leading the development of strategic communications plans and supplemental project plans.
- Serving as a thought leader with team leads to meet client goals.
- Supporting the development of new business proposals and ideas.
A successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience working on campaigns, in government, at a corporation or public relations agency.
- A strong track record of building media strategies, including placing a wide range of national print and broadcast stories in addition to drafting op-eds, press releases, media advisories, Q&A, talking points, statements as well as other communication documents.
- Ability to manage an effective and innovative thought leadership platform and strategic speaking plans for multiple senior executives and corporate leaders.
- Proven ability to develop and execute strategic integrated communications programs that deliver results.
- Experience leading a talented and dynamic team while cultivating a collaborative atmosphere.
- Excellent writing skills and experience crafting a variety of communications materials.
- Strong strategic instincts and ability to develop and execute communications and strategic plans.
- Conceptual thinker with excellent organizational and prioritization skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Experience managing multiple projects and deadlines in tandem.
Candidates should have 5+ years of relevant experience in public relations, writing, crisis communications, and media intensive positions.
SKDK is committed to pay equity. SKDK believes the target range of base compensation in this role is $70,000-$100,000. In addition to base salary, SKDK considers other key components as part of total compensation, including but not limited to an annual discretionary bonus, commission on new business, and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual base compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors, such as skillset, level of experience, and location.
What we offer:
SKDK provides a generous benefits package including excellent coverage for health, vision, and dental insurance premiums; paid parental leave; time off including vacation, holidays, and sick time; 401(k) with an employer contribution, reimbursement for cellular service, public transportation benefits, and additional benefits.
SKDK believes in the growth and development of all our employees and therefore we offer:
Professional development and career guidance
Opportunities for advancement
Participation in Employee Resource Groups
A collegial and supportive office environment
Employment at SKDK is contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference check, and compliance with SKDK's COVID-19 policy. SKDK requires all employees to show proof of full vaccination, as defined by the CDC, prior to the beginning of their employment. Applicants who believe they need an accommodation of this policy because of a medical exemption or sincerely-held religious belief should inform the Director of Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic, or religious information on your application materials.
SKDK is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any protected category.