Sketch is a design platform with an award-winning native Mac app and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. And right now, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join us.
We work with empowered product teams that truly own what they do — delivering new features and improving the technology foundations of our platform. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll lead a team of developers (frontend, backend and Mac development) and QA analysts, where everyone is responsible for the quality of their work. Most of our teams also include a Product Manager and Designers.
You are a systems thinker. You keep a high-level view of all the parts involved in delivering a project: the tech stack, the people, the projects, dependencies, trade-offs. You can envision the roadmap for the team, foreseeing the unknowns and preparing the strategy to reach our goals. You encourage collaboration and understanding between all parts involved: product management, designers, engineers and other teams.
You value your team above all, knowing that giving them space for growth, autonomy and ownership will bring the best of us all, contributing to a successful product. You care about their needs and foster an environment of psychological safety.
As the Engineering Manager, your main goal will be to guarantee that the technical quality of the team is the highest possible. You'll achieve this by co-maintaining the team's roadmap with the Product Manager putting special emphasis on technical quality. You'll work with the engineers to ensure the right technical decisions are made. Together with QA you will discover and implement the right quality processes for your team's deliverables.
You will lead by example, be a mentor, and inspire your reports and peers. You will monitor development speed and find the right balance with quality. You will also coach and track the performance of your team’s developers and QA analysts.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 65 Mac, backend, frontend, QA and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
Essentials for the job
- Broad technical skills and solid knowledge about software development best practices and life cycles.
- Hands-on management skills and a background in software development.
- Strong social skills, with coaching and mentoring capabilities.
- Experience delivering and supporting complex software products.
- Experience managing a team in a remote environment.
- Excellent communication skills and good written and spoken English.
- Based in European / African timezones (or close to them).
We care about your wellbeing and your professional success, so we offer you
- Full-time employment, with a flexible schedule.
- International environment and working culture.
- As many vacation days as you need.
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job.
- Private healthcare and gym reimbursements.
- The hardware you need.
- The option to work anywhere in European/African timezones.
- Company equity.
- Paid family leave.
- An annual company meetup (when possible).
Even if you're not able to tick all of these boxes, we would still love to hear from you.