Remote (US) /
Business Operations /
Skillshare is looking for a General Counsel that can build our legal function from the ground up. We are an online learning community for creative skills, and our $71 million Series D fundraise last year is fueling our growth into a globally-recognized consumer brand. We will need your experience in public and private companies, international exposure, and strong business acumen to help us reach the next phase of growth and maturity.
What you'll do:
- Financing and capital markets prep
- Commercial agreements
- Corporate governance
- International expansion
- Employment law
- Tax and regulatory
- Build an amazing team
- Weigh in on all aspects of our strategy and growth
Why we're excited about you:
- Securities and public markets experience. We will look to you for critical advice and guidance as we consider all of our long-term financing and liquidity alternatives.
- International experience. We are rapidly expanding abroad, and your ability to pull together a global team of internal and external resources will be essential to keeping us in compliance.
- Scrappiness. You’ll build a team and get the right resources in place, but we expect you to be hands-on, run a lean organization. Yes, we have plenty of capital, but we always look to get more done with less.
- Alignment with our values - impact, curiosity, community, and transparency. We take great pride in what we do, and how we do it.
- Operational bent. We need a GC that can do more than just lead a legal function. We see this as an opportunity to add another valuable strategic mind to the exec team.
- Comfort with growth-stage businesses. Building a market and leading an industry is not a smooth upward curve. There are hard decisions, constant tradeoffs, and a to-do list that is always longer than the hours in the day. It’s not always pretty, but it’s a lot of fun.
Why you're excited about us:
- Growth. There will never be a dull moment - we have a long list of opportunities and exciting challenges to tackle; from evaluating capital options (IPO? SPAC? Stay private?) to international expansion to intellectual property questions, you’ll help us develop our strategy and execute on it.
- Impact. There aren’t many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform, subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact. It’s hard to find a company that is both a positive influence on the world and a phenomenal business.
- Team. You’ll be a key member of an executive team that is more than capable of taking the company to the next stage of growth and beyond.
- Community. We have a large and uniquely passionate community of teachers and students -- 15% of our NPS comments contain the word “love”.
- Board and investors: We have one of the most supportive boards around. We are very proud to be backed by OMERS Growth Equity, Union Square Ventures, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Spark Capital, and their networks have paid big dividends for Skillshare.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC (#BI-Remote), Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.