Director of Product Management, Learning
Remote (US) /
As Director of Product, Learning you will define and lead the strategy for all of Skillshare’s core learning products, both within our subscription memberships and informing how we grow into a transactional marketplace. Our product team goal is to make Skillshare the world’s best online learning destination, with a robust, innovative ecosystem of product offerings that allow us to compete in a rapidly expanding and competitive market. Alongside your strategy, you will work with a cross-functional team and develop holistically designed customer experiences that work on all platforms, connecting key touch points on the web and on our mobile apps. Your vision will also support how experts can use Skillshare tools to build student audiences around classes, courses, and more - and make money from their expertise.
To build your learning experiences successfully, you and your team will research, define, and architect key user journeys, informed by performance data, research, and experimentation. You will use this knowledge to work closely and collaboratively with content, operations, brand, and marketing departments and develop customer-centric roadmaps that inform browser initiatives, which together will provide best-in-class journeys that lead users into our product experience. At heart, you will be our key influencer, inspiring our teams to deliver a robust and engaging learning content experience within each Skillshare product line.
Skillshare is poised to grow significantly over the next few years and you’ll help lead the charge. You need to be comfortable building and pushing for a product vision within a consumer environment, assuring that all stakeholders are in sync along the way. We’ll look to your expertise in building customer-centric products, technical know-how, and your ability to work seamlessly with teams across the company, champion our platform’s learners, and drive real engagement impact as the company scales.
What you'll do:
- With VP of Product, based on company OKRs and product organization strategies, continually develop the vision for learning products throughout the product, on web and apps; Provides input for company-level strategic planning
- Manage product managers under/affiliated with the product area, aligning the organization’s strategic vision to team tactical roadmaps; Make independent decisions for the direction of the product area, team goals. and for company-level impact, opportunities, and blockers when making decisions.
- Lead a product pod team that is organized around a key area of the product - a pod team consists of engineers, designers, and data experts, and execute on the team’s tactical roadmap; the pod team works with key cross-functional teammates from partner departments to collect inputs to inform development, and to provide outputs that impact the business at large
- Work in an integral partnership with product design, foundational and product engineering, and data in reaching goals and delivering both business impact and customer value
- Work closely and collaboratively with content, operations, brand, and marketing departments and develop a customer-centric roadmaps
- Develop and maintain a continual understanding of competitor in the market, and identify where Skillshare can innovate & pull ahead
- Develop and maintain a prioritized items on the roadmap that aims to increase and improve customer activation, engagement, and retention; Partner with product manager peers to assure a consistent experience across web and apps
- Work closely with our UX Research and Customer Experience teams and understand user pain points within the product, and position feature requests towards impactful product upgrades; Alongside these teams, define customer research needs that can help inform product development efforts within the area
- Assist engineering to define requirements for the development of specific microservices, APIs and related back-end capabilities that will allow ample runway to scale content discovery product development on web and app platforms
- Write user stories, specifications, manage project execution, data feature validation, analytics event confirmations, design, run & interpret A/B tests, wireframe, and define product roll-out strategies
- Manage JIRA tickets, plan sprints, and assess team efficiencies and overall development velocity
- Manage projects with partners and customers, identifying specific product needs and ensuring adoption
Why we're excited about you:
- Preferred 8+ years of product management experience or related business experience
- Experienced manager, capable of overseeing team / 2-3 direct reports; May manage (or mentor) other managers.
- Ability to manage rare or complex types of work across multiple direct reports/teams
- Proven ability to establish rapport, credibility and influence amongst stakeholders and cross-functional internal teams to drive results
- Sets functional goals and is accountable for group performance
- Strong user experience + data/research intuition, with past experience building customer-centric product lines
- Ability to clearly articulate strategy and requirements to stakeholders, product managers, engineering, data analytics and business partners
- Possess strong decision-making and prioritization skills; have experience overseeing and managing complex technical roadmaps
- Experience deriving and presenting insights to business leaders
- Preferred experience having built content-centric, marketplace, and/or e-learning or other continuous learning products
- Experience and excitement about working on a rapidly growing part of the business
Why you're excited about us:
- Impact: We believe product led growth is the key to growing our business, and you’ll be one of our key deciders on how we do it
- Growth: You’ll have the opportunity to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time.
- Our team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.