Director of Product, Consumer Experience
Remote (US) /
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. Our product team plays a key role in our ability to scale by building an experience that empowers anyone, anywhere to access our platform. Their work enables us to reach people around the world and make learning as easy as glancing at your phone.
As Director of Consumer Experience, you will define how Skillshare users can find the best learning content that our subscription service has to offer. Alongside our company’s key strategies, you will lead and bring a vision for Skillshare’s content discovery experience to life, and oversee the Consumer Discovery product area. This role will also manage the people responsible for Personalization, Search and the Learning Experience within the product. And with these teams, you will develop a holistically designed discovery experience that works on all platforms, connecting key touch points on the web and on our mobile apps. Alongside team management, you will also own the user experience of, and the development team that builds, our logged in member experience, including the Home page and Browse products. You will research, define, and architect key user journeys, from email and push/in-app campaigns to core products, alongside partner teams within the company, to provide best-in-class journeys that lead users into our product experience. At heart, you will be our key influencer, inspiring our teams to deliver a robust and engaging learning content experience within each Skillshare product line. This area is poised to grow significantly over the next year and you’ll help lead the charge. You need to be comfortable building and pushing for a product vision within a consumer environment. We’ll look to your expertise in building customer-centric products, technical know-how, and your ability to work seamlessly with teams across the company, champion our platform’s learners, and drive real engagement impact as we scale.
What you'll do:
- Work closely with brand, marketing, content, engineering, data, product, and design leaders to develop a customer-centric content + product strategy and related roadmaps
- Work with UX research on understanding student learning needs within Skillshare
- Develop and maintain continual understanding of competitive online learning platforms in the market, and identify where Skillshare can innovate & pull ahead
- Run countless experiments that help push our product forward
- Work with Data Scientists on understanding user trends
- Develop and maintain a prioritized roadmaps that aim to increase our customer’s engagement with learning content, and partner with product manager teammates to assure a consistent experience across web and apps
- Effectively communicate the vision of Discovery and related roadmap to senior leadership
- Create seamless user experiences for learners coming into Skillshare from email, push notifications, in-app notifications, and related content marketing channels
- Work with Brand and Content on in-product promotions of top quality classes
- Work closely with our Customer Experience team and understand user pain points within the product, and position feature requests towards impactful product upgrades
- Define requirements for the development of specific microservices, APIs and related back-end capabilities that will allow ample runway to scale content discovery product development on web and app platforms
- Write user stories, specifications, manage project execution, data feature validation, analytics event confirmations, design, run & interpret A/B tests, wireframe, and define product roll-out strategies
- Manage projects with partners and customers, identifying specific product needs and ensuring adoption
Why we're excited about you:
- 8+ years of experience as a product manager, with developing digital services around media and content
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to establish rapport, credibility and influence amongst stakeholders and cross-functional internal teams to drive results
- Technical background and ability to have collaborative, in-depth technical discussions from engineers to marketing technology stakeholdersExperienced people and/or team manager
- Ability to clearly articulate strategy and requirements to stakeholders, product managers, engineering, data analytics and business partners
- Possess strong decision-making and prioritization skills; have experience overseeing and managing complex technical roadmaps
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve ambiguous problems with extreme attention to detail
- Thrives in a high-energy, fast-paced environment where tactical and strategic initiatives are driven in parallelExperience deriving and presenting insights to business leaders
- Strong analytical abilities and data intuition
- Strong user experience intuition, with past experience building customer-centric content destinations
- Preferred experience having used e-learning or other continuous learning products
- Experience and excitement about working on a rapidly growing part of the business
Why you're excited about us:
- Impact: You’ll build out Skillshare’s emerging Enterprise learning experience strategy and roadmap which is a main company strategy and initiative
- Growth: Our team is small, so you’ll have room to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Our team: We have a passionate, smart team that is a lot of fun to work with
- Your life: We take pride in our flexibility. Working remotely is part of how we need to work these days. You’re a professional, and we trust you to do what you need to do
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC (#BI-Remote), Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.