United States /
As an Accounting Manager at Skillshare, you’ll work directly alongside our Controller to ensure our financial operations and processes are primed to scale with our business. You’ll have exposure to all key significant transactions, and we’ll look to your strategic and executional expertise to manage our books and streamline processes.
We’re growing quickly (and expanding internationally!) and are excited to bring on someone who can play a key role in the financial accounting process.
What you'll do:
- Oversee and manage daily general accounting functions, including but not limited to cash, accounts payable, B2B billing and collections and T&E reimbursements
- Review account reconciliations, journal entries, and supporting analysis and documentation as part of the monthly and annual close process.
- Prepare monthly revenue entries and reconciliations
- Apply US GAAP to research and solve complex transactions.
- Assess current practices and procedures and make recommendations for improvements to continually strengthen internal controls
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis to drive business decisions.
- Address documentation requests and inquiries during the annual audit.
- Work with the Controller to ensure department procedures are scaling appropriately with the business.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Support budget and forecasting activities.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Educational background in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- 6-8 years of accounting experience, preferably with a mix of public and private experience (bonus points for experience at a high-paced startup)
- Prior experience at public company a plus but not required
- Advanced Excel skills
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and financial statement presentation
- Prior experience with SaaS business model preferred
- Prior experience with ERP’s such as Netsuite or Sage Intacct a plus but not required
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- A highly collaborative team player and self-starter; willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
Why you want this job:
- Impact: Our company is scaling quickly, and you’ll ensure our finance operations scale with us.
- Growth: as an invaluable member of a new department, you’ll have the opportunity to lead creative, define the department mission, and advance your hard & soft skills.
- Our team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.