Senior Electrical Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Skip is looking for an experienced electrical engineer who is excited to join us and design the world’s best micromobility electric vehicle fleet. You ideally have experience in consumer electronics, transportation systems and vehicles, or similar products. You’ll work with both our own teams and also with external partners as we develop the next generation of vehicles.
Skip's mission is to energize cities by making mobility accessible to everyone. We believe this requires designing every aspect of a micromobility network from the ground up. This includes custom vehicle hardware, the software-defined fleet management system, and ground operations for safety and recharging. Our success will make it easier for everyone to work, play, and connect in their communities.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Own product requirements into an overall system and vehicle architecture
- Drive the design from concept through mass production
- Collaborate with your teammates and contract-manufacturing partners, to tackle the new challenges of shared fleet vehicles including: serviceability, powertrain performance, vehicle sensing, safety systems, theft deterrence, remote tracking, connectivity, and power/thermal management
- Use industry standard practices to build schematic designs, layouts, and validation efforts in close partnership with the contract manufacturing partners
- Drive multiple programs and projects forward with the software team to define and implement firmware, drivers, and algorithms
- Travel periodically to supplier’s international manufacturing sites
- Contribute in developing our product and technology roadmap.
YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- BS/MS in electrical engineering or similar field
- 10+ years of experience in automotive or consumer hardware product development
- Knowledge of mixed-signal board-level design
- Experience integrating RF technologies such as WiFi, BT, GPS, etc.
- Knowledge of processor architecture, digital circuit design and various communications protocols such as I2C, UART, SPI, USB, MIPI, I2S, etc.
- Knowledge of low-power circuit design, DC/DC converters, power management methods, audio circuit design
- Experience developing robust designs for ESD/EMI immunities and RF desensitization
- Experience leading and driving design development from schematic capture, PCB layout through assembly
- Excellent communication skills
- Worked on new product categories
- Passion for electric mobility is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The satisfaction of delivering an amazing experience for millions of people, from complete strangers to your friends and family.
- A culture built around putting the customer first, prioritizing dependability, safety, and transparency.
- The opportunity to learn about and solve difficult technical challenges, such as fleet management for hundreds of thousands of light electric vehicles.
- Personal, professional, and leadership growth at a fast-growing startup at its inflection point.
- A cross-functional work environment that includes experts in diverse fields like government policy, hardware engineering, mobile and cloud software, supply chain logistics, and trust and safety.
- Competitive salaries and benefits, including coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance
WHY JOIN SKIP?
Designing from the ground up is important for supply chain and fleet management, especially when it comes to reliability, safety, business management, and a great rider experience. Our leadership team has the most experience in designing light electric vehicles from the ground up. Our founders previously were co-founders at Boosted, where they designed and built the first reliable micromobility vehicle and presented their work at TED.
We know our customers aren’t just our riders, but also the public and city governments. We helped create the first scooter sharing permit in the US, were the first to share data on scooter usage with cities, and have been at the front of transparent operation around fleet management and vehicle safety. The result is deeper collaboration with cities, fewer complaints from the public, and a better experience for our riders.
We are backed by some of the world’s best investors, including Accel, Menlo, Y Combinator, Initialized, A Capital, and Paul Graham.
Skip is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.