Product Development Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Skip is looking for an experienced mechanical engineer who is excited to join us and design the world’s best micromobility electric vehicle fleet. You ideally have experience in consumer electronics, transportation systems and vehicles, or similar products. You’ll work with both our own teams and also with external partners as we develop the next generation of vehicles.
Skip's mission is to energize cities by making mobility accessible to everyone. We believe this requires designing every aspect of a micromobility network from the ground up. This includes custom vehicle hardware, the software-defined fleet management system, and ground operations for safety and recharging. Our success will make it easier for everyone to work, play, and engage in their communities.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Own subsystem or system-level mechanical design and development on new micromobility vehicles you will see on the road
- Get up to speed quickly on the unique design requirements for a new category of vehicles based on our current fleet operating history
- Determine and implement design changes based on specifications, customer feedback, and supplier’s capabilities
- Develop, conduct, and present experiments to evaluate new or existing designs, confirm specifications, and resolve problems
- Prioritize projects with other internal teams and update the hardware engineering schedule with your personal tasks
- Use best in class tools to create innovative solutions
- Perform stress and tolerance analyses to determine theoretical feasibility
- Meet cost goals by monitoring cost status
- Travel to customers, suppliers, and factories as necessary
YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing process engineering
- A practical and pragmatic approach to shipping products with constraints driven by many stakeholders
- Worked on prior projects involving injection molding, sheet metal work, casting, design for manufacturability (DFM), and design for assembly (DFA)
- Experience with Creo, Minitab or similar, and common business applications like Excel
- Clear written and verbal communication; good time management and organizational skills; and a team player mentality
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The satisfaction of delivering an amazing experience for millions of people, from complete strangers to your friends and family.
- A culture built around putting the customer first, prioritizing dependability, safety, and transparency.
- The opportunity to learn about and solve difficult technical challenges, such as fleet management for hundreds of thousands of light electric vehicles.
- Personal, professional, and leadership growth at a fast-growing startup at its inflection point.
- A cross-functional work environment that includes experts in diverse fields like government policy, hardware engineering, mobile and cloud software, supply chain logistics, and trust and safety.
- Competitive salaries and benefits, including coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance
WHY JOIN SKIP?
Designing from the ground up is important for supply chain and fleet management, especially when it comes to reliability, safety, business management, and a great rider experience. Our leadership team has the most experience in designing light electric vehicles from the ground up. Our founders previously were co-founders at Boosted, where they designed and built the first reliable micromobility vehicle and presented their work at TED.
We know our customers aren’t just our riders, but also the public and city governments. We helped create the first scooter sharing permit in the US, were the first to share data on scooter usage with cities, and have been at the front of transparent operation around fleet management and vehicle safety. The result is deeper collaboration with cities, fewer complaints from the public, and a better experience for our riders.
We are backed by some of the world’s best investors, including Accel, Menlo, Y Combinator, Initialized, A Capital, and Paul Graham.
Skip is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.