Software Engineer - Frontend (Next.js)
Skool’s engineering team is seeking an experienced Software Engineer with a passion for developing performant, maintainable, and clean modern web applications. You’ll help set the direction of frontend development at Skool jumping into a modern codebase written in React using Next.js. We’re looking for that rare engineer with a mind for complexity and structure, an eye for elegant interface design, and a passion for making it come alive in the browser.
This is a 100% remote position. Skool has an office in Los Angeles, CA but works as a distributed team.
What you'll do
- Take full ownership for building, shipping, and maintaining features on skool.com
- Help define the direction of Front End development at Skool putting best practices in place to help build a maintainable codebase
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, and engineers to design features and break down high-level features into technical specifications, engineering tasks, and timelines
- Build, document, and maintain tests, features, and infrastructure when needed
- Communicate and author architectural designs and requirements
- Invent patterns and reusable components that our growing team can assemble to continue to build things
- Maintain and advocate for high standards through code review and collaboration with other engineers
What we're looking for
- You have 5+ years of experience building React-based web applications at scale
- You have a deep understanding of modern web architecture and server-side rendering
- You have built and maintained complex, highly interactive frontend UIYou have excellent frontend debugging skills, and a deep understanding of how to build and optimize for performance
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionallyYou have strong product and design sensibilities and enjoy perfecting the details that matter most to users
- Bonus: You have direct experience with a customer facing Next.js applications
- Bonus: You have worked on a customer facing React-based SaaS Application
Skool is a platform where course creators host their student communities and course content in 1-place, with 1-login, and 1-search. In the past, this was done with a Facebook Group, and a learning management system (LMS). Skool puts the two together and gamifies it so it's engaging and fun. Watch a 2-min explainer video here. Try the product by joining our Skool Community here.
We've been building Skool for 2.5 years. We're a team of 8 people: CEO (product), CTO (backend), 2x Frontend Engineers, Product Manager, Product Designer, QA Engineer, and a Community Manager. We have a product people love, paying customers, we're well funded, profitable, and growing fast! Our CTO (Daniel Kang) has 20 years of experience and high standards for system design and code quality. Our CEO has 10 years of experience in the e-learning industry building a company from $0 to $36m. He self-funded Skool with $10m of his own money.
Skool is a remote team with an office in Los Angeles. Much of the team is LA-based, but we're open to all US-based candidates for this role. We welcome staff in the office (if they prefer), but work completely distributed.
We like to build things people love. We keep things casual, non-political, playful, and child-like. We've found creativity comes from a place of fun, collaboration, and friendship. We keep our processes minimal, systems simple, and communication casual. We hire talented people, pay above market salaries, give equity, full benefits, the best tools — anything necessary to have fun making great stuff.
The stars don’t align like this very often, get in while the team is small and equity is on the table. Join us!