Senior Gameplay Engineer | Minecraft
Burnaby, British Columbia /
Software Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
Interested? Let’s talk about what we’re hiring for:
Minecraft is looking for experienced and ambitious Senior Gameplay Systems Engineers for our Gameplay Systems sub teams. Focusing on all things related to worlds, blocks, mobs and items,, you will help us contribute to the expanding world of Minecraft by working on a variety of gameplay systems shipping to multiple platforms, resulting in rich player experiences and in-depth worlds to explore.
The work is mostly in C++, and your gameplay exposure would be a huge asset. This team is responsible for major initiatives and you can make a big impact in new features within Minecraft. If you like engine building and getting to modern C++, this is the role for you!
A snapshot of your role:
- Drive engine and feature improvements, optimize and refactor code, and identify and solve performance issues.
- Design and implement gameplay systems related to worlds, blocks, mobs and items
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback on how to develop and improve processes, tools and workflows
- Building a data driven world system to empower all creator
- Build strong relationships and communicate effectively with both internal team members and our external partners
- Identify and provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to technical directors and project managers
- Test software and address bug issues as needed
- Learn new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
Sound like you? This is what we're looking for:
- Strong proficiency in C++ (Version 14 and up) is required
- 4 + years of professional game development experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent optimization and debugging skills
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining software systems
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Self-directed and takes initiative in order to drive progress
- Experience shipping one or more AAA game titles
- Experience with Optimization
- A passion for Minecraft or games in general!
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs:
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration, and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Flexible Hybrid and Remote Work Models:
With the goal to provide the best possible work environment for all, the majority of our team is working in a flexible hybrid work model from Vancouver and Victoria. The opportunity to work permanently remotely across Canada is also available for certain designated roles.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Only candidates that reside in Canada or are willing to relocate will be considered for this role. Additionally, although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about us at http://skyboxlabs.com/