Network Software Engineer | Minecraft
Burnaby, British Columbia /
Software Engineering /
Permanent Full Time (RFT)
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite, connect players across platforms in Minecraft, unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena. SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, and original title, Stela. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for a Network Software Engineer to develop high quality networking code on projects in the Minecraft universe! This role is ideal for someone with an understanding of both client-side and server-side network programming and who enjoys the interesting technical challenges that come from solving network-related issues.
- Develop, maintain and debug online systems, features and tools
- Design and implement highly performant client-side and server-side networking code
- Implement scalable network systems, such as anti-cheat
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback on how to develop and improve processes, tools and workflows
- Provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to engineering leads and project managers
- Push the boundaries of what you know by learning new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- Professional software development experience within games, network security, or other industries working on similar technologies
- Strong proficiency in C++ is required
- Knowledge of client/server network programming
- Experience working with large code bases: familiarity with branch strategies, complex code integration, and merge conflict resolution
- Excellent problem-solving ability with a knack for finding creative solutions to technical challenges
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Stays current with the latest networking and multiplayer technologies
- AAA game development experience, ideally with multiplayer online games
- Experience working on anti-cheat systems
- Experience developing games for Android
- Fluency in Mandarin is a plus
- A passion for games!
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us at http://skyboxlabs.com/
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.