Mid-City, Los Angeles /
Animation – Story Artist /
Skydance Animation seeks a Story Artist to join a dynamic team laying the foundation for its two upcoming animated feature films, directed by Vicky Jenson (Shrek, Shark’s Tale) and by Peggy Holmes (Secret of the Wings, The Pirate Fairy, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning), respectively.
Story Artists translate an idea and turn it into visuals that convey all facets of the overall direction of the film, including emotion, humor, and action. You are an expert of character anatomy, both physical and emotional, and can translate the abstract into something solid. You partner with the Directors and Head of Story to develop expressive, entertaining storyboards. You usually are given script pages as a guide but also must be able to take an unfinished idea and flesh it out into a full scene.
- Design and/or illustrate concepts through sketches, painting and storyboards for feature films
- Create storyboards in the form of presentation and rough thumbnail boards
- Conduct research to inform conceptual design work
- Create color concepts that may include marker sketches, paintings, and computer-generated imagery
- Develop artistic presentations as needed
- Refine concepts technically and visually, follow through with implementation
- 5-10 years of experience in animated features
- Ability to express character emotion and attitude through drawings
- Sense of filmic staging and story telling, entertainment and humor
- Knowledge of anatomy, perspective, and composition
- Ability to brainstorm inventive ideas to plus story material
- Ability to present storyboards in an effective manner
- Willingness to rework material multiple times while keeping a fresh eye
- Expert Adobe Photoshop skills
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category.