Product Design Engineer
Skydio’s mission is to deliver the power, utility, and magic of aerial robotics to solve problems, save lives, and capture the impossible. We’re executing at the intersection of breakthrough artificial intelligence and world-class hardware design, where a fundamental connection between algorithms, processing hardware, and sensors unlocks an entirely new category of flying device.
As a member of Skydio’s small and potent hardware engineering team, you will help design, develop, and refine custom, integrated solutions that enable our revolutionary autonomous flight technology.
How you'll make an impact:
- Design mechanical parts and assemblies for our aircraft, ground stations, and other key accessories from the ground-up as part of new architectures.
- Work closely with electrical engineers to shape and integrate custom PCBAs, flex circuits, antennas, and cable harnesses.
- Interface closely with and lead technical activity at vendors in partnership with operations and supply chain teams.
- Define and execute engineering tests and utilize analysis to evaluate system trade-offs and prove your design.
- Drive designs throughout the development cycle from prototyping to pre-production and into mass production. Support our internal manufacturing and factory teams with assembly processes, quality and inspection criteria, etc.
- Debug and analyze failures with an eye for the smallest details and the determination to reach the deepest causes.
- 3+ years of product development experience with a proven track record of execution.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent with demonstrated excellence.
- Ability to apply analytical problem solving skills and engineering fundamentals to create high-quality designs for a sophisticated electromechanical system.
- Mastery of 3D CAD, specifically as used in developing complex assemblies along with an acute sense of when to hack and when to build elegant parametrics. Experience with CATIA strongly preferred.
- Ability to design for a broad array of manufacturing processes (injection molding, metal casting, and CNC machining required, sheet metal forming and composites desired).
- Excellent sense of how best to prototype quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to produce well-constructed, thorough mechanical part and assembly drawings.
- Passion for elegant mechanical design at the highest and lowest levels of detail.
- A strategic mind across the full design, source, build, validate, and ship process. Proven ability to make tactical decisions at various stages.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.