Redwood City /
Legal – Legal /
Skydio is an autonomous drone startup in Redwood City. Prior to Skydio, our co-founders met as MIT grad students and co-founded Google X's Project Wing. Thanks to our incredibly strong team spanning many disciplines, we're now the leading US drone company and the world leader in drone autonomy. Together, we’re on a mission to make every aspect of flying drones more creative, more fun, more useful, and less stressful with groundbreaking artificial intelligence.
Here's the launch video for our most recent consumer product: https://youtu.be/imt2qZ7uw1s.
Skydio is on the forefront of pushing drone applications beyond consumer use. The enterprise potential for a drone that can reason about its environment, avoid obstacles, and autonomously execute complex missions are considerable - spanning surveys, farming, industrial monitoring, infrastructure security, emergency response, and more. In many industries it's a classic disruption: 10x better/safer/faster than the alternative (e.g. a helicopter, a crane) and 10-100x cheaper.
About The Role
As Skydio’s Product Counsel, you will be the second attorney on our growing legal team. You’ll work alongside our Head of Legal to solve high-priority challenges and scale the company. We’re a fast-paced startup, so you can expect to do a little bit of everything, with a core focus on providing legal guidance on product development projects. We’re actively expanding our offerings in a number of exciting directions across consumer, enterprise, and government markets, so your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
What You'll Do
- Partner with our innovators through all stages of the product and feature development lifecycle, while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance for our drone-related products and services.
- Negotiate complex commercial relationships that directly contribute to the success of Skydio’s products in the market.
- Draft and negotiate commercial and intellectual property agreements affecting Skydio's products and services.
- Provide sound compliance advice based on up-to-date knowledge of relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, data protection, and U.S. and EU privacy laws and regulations.
- Provide ideas and insights into how the company can work within the law to create amazing product experiences for its customers.
- 7+ years of combined, relevant experience in law firms and in-house legal departments providing guidance directly to product teams
- Familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the hardware and SaaS space
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage projects effectively
- Fluency in translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product and business teams
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree and active membership in at least one state bar
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.