Software Engineer - Enterprise Platform & Backend
Skydio is putting the power of autonomous drones into the hands of enterprise partners tackling problems related to inspection, mapping, inventory, and emergency response.
We’re building an exciting host of new backend systems and on-vehicle features for these enterprise partners--we’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited to help design, develop and ship new systems that bridge together cloud services and fleets of autonomous drones.
How you'll make an impact:
- Collaborate across functions (product managers, frontend engineers, autonomy engineers) to deliver cloud systems that enable enterprise use-cases on the Skydio Platform
- Implement robust backend APIs, data pipelines, cache layers, highly-available streaming services, and scalable infrastructure for enterprise and internal systems
- Architect cloud interfaces that enable cross-compatibility between various versions of mobile and drone software across the fleet
- Design secure, efficient, observable, and robust software for dealing with real-time data and video from fleets of Skydio drones
- Recognize and execute on opportunities to create tools and infrastructure to improve developer efficiency
- Take ownership on a wide range of systems and drive projects from concept through shipping
- Ability to work anywhere in the technical stack, with a primary focus on quality backend code
- High proficiency in Python and use of structured data serialization (e.g. Protobuf, Cap’n’Proto)
- Expertise in relational databases and schema design. Timeseries DBs and data ‘warehouses’ are another bonus
- Experience architecting production-ready APIs, scalable infrastructure, or high volume data pipelines
- Familiarity with both AWS and modern DevOps tooling (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Ability to take a concept and systematically drive it through the software lifecycle: architecture, development, testing, q/a, and deployment
Our technical stack:
- Our web and systems backend software is primarily written in Python, uses Protobuf for data serialization, and communicates with Mobile Apps, a Typescript front-end, and APIs on the drone. We have some C++ libraries for efficiently processing drone telemetry data, and use Celery for managing task queues and workers.
- Our main cloud backend is built with Flask, SQLAlchemy, Postgres, Redis and run with Gunicorn, Nginx on AWS infrastructure. We primarily use Terraform and Ansible to provision and deploy services, with Docker deployments for many of them. We use a variety of AWS services, including SQS, Kinesis, IOT, SNS, and the usual suspects EC2, S3, and Route53.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.